The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Of this and that
From somewhere I acquired a copy of Newnes, early 1930s. This and similar books make easy bedtime reading, but there are a lot of words to convey a few facts. Many such books are reprints and later editions and old and new info mixed up  must have confused many (A 1950s Caxton book describes modern honing but also describes reboring with no subsequent treatment. Quotes typical cyl wear rates .001 per 2,000, 3,000 miles,  but also mentions  almost nil in 100,000 as today under good conditions.  Articles on the basis for valve timing etc are very questionable) What struck me was 9hp BSA 4cyl car engine. Two rolling bearings, oil fed one end but no circumferential ducts. I vaguely recall Riley 9 had these despite two feeds. Dunno about the Singer 9, Morris Minor and others. Ii don’t suppose anyone now knows details of how these cars performed.
Incidentally for moderate water jacket cracks old books recommend soldering; rub copper sulphate into the cleaned cast iron to assist tinning. The body and chassis repair techniques are interesting as basically what amateurs are confined to.

The lock down rolls on, very pleasantly for me.  But productivity has been thwarted. Have re experienced the great pleasure of cycling, last seriously indulged 55 years ago. With Covid threatening it seems prudent to see all I can of the world. And to strengthen lungs for any looming battle. Cannot easily get on a mans bike. Have forsaken my ex inorganic rubbish Raleigh 20 for an equally ancient 27 inch wheel ladies 10speed with all alloy fittings, barely used, cost $15 (L8).  With no traffic , very clear air, no background noise, carparks closed so few in parks etc, autumn days with long shadows, quite idyllic, esp coastline tracks. Cycling serves to remind what a remarkable invention the bike was. It expanded enormously the world of the middle classes who could afford. I remember my grandfather telling of biking 80 miles in Kent after a job in the 1890s. On the level, unhurried with no head wind, can go forever with very little effort. My radius limited to about 25km and have to walk all the many grades. Whereas the bike mechanism has not aged, mine has.
The bike somewhat more sensitive to wind and grade than the Seven but the bike cornering, braking, response on corrugations and in thick metal is better!
Bicycles were a great training ground for the later Seven. Learned about hard and soft steels etc. I had one ancient high quality preWW1 bike with hardened cotters. I can still remember my fathers reaction when I attacked with one of his files. Bearing analogies assist to understand angular contact etc.
Curiously the Raleigh 20 is much less floppy than the ladies bike. It has the merit that ridden on the footpath peds regard it as a non threatening toy.
I came across one Council worker disturbing the glorious peace with a weed eater. I guess his cord lacerations will heal eventually.
Last year I read Lloyd (now Sir Lloyd) Geering's book "On Me Bike", which he wrote for his kids, about trips he made by bicycle before the war. One he made with some other Student Christian Association members, including his future wife, was in part from Wellington to Hamilton, staying at Sunday Schools on the way. The were going to the SCA summer camp in Napier, but it was cancelled as they travelled because of Pearl Harbour.
Lloyd Geerings life story is very interesting, sad and unlikely. A remarkable bike ride was by a teenage girl Wilson from a pioneer family in Levin with a girl colleague or two to Taupo in the very early 1900s. The 200 mile road a mere dirt coach or cart track (less if via Desert Rd) and they would have seen noone for mile after mile. The total population of the few settlements passed through would have been just a few hundred, and the destination almost entirely native. All on single speed fixed drive bike with a push down front brake. A Levin colleague of mine started work in Wanganui and used to ride his 3 speed 60 undulating windswept miles home when rostered off. He later bought a flatbed Bradford, which compared with my then stock RP seemed like a sports car! 
Considering that practical cars can be bought for $2000 (L1000) and no insurance is required, it amazes me the number of mostly solitary oversea's visitors who slog and sweat their away around the now tedious main roads by bike
In the late 1940s one of our local identities who was an avid cycle racer, rode his (single speed) racing bike from New Plymouth to Hamilton, to compete in, and win the Hamilton to Auckland road race. Good money too, £40 for winning, £20 fastest time (according to his account his wages at the time were 12/6 a week), needless to say he came home in the train...