The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
60’000 miles on cheap supermarket oil...
H Ruairidh

The Phoenix crank fillets seem nicely finished with reasonably uniform radii. Being very hard, is there any measurable crank wear?
It is curious that low cr cars seem to give trouble with ring lands. A common failure with Bradfords. Have others had same trouble, or does noone match your mileage? Have you gear to measure cyl wear? Can be assessed by filing lengths of wire or nail and measuring with a normal mike. With the regular longer distance running on modern oil something like modern wear may apply. My car 1940-55 developed .010 taper over 60,000 miles, and had been previously recon at 40,000.
I am surprised at the goo in Seven sump. I have run 1950s/60s cars as everyday transport for 50 years and used some very basic oils but never any goo formed, even with considerable blow by. Got solid carbon particles settled and packed beneath the intake gauze.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 60’000 miles on cheap supermarket oil... - by Bob Culver - 27-04-2020, 08:30 AM