The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering column wedge - problems with the sterring arm going over...
When using a steering wedge, how do others stop the drop arm going over the top please?  A stop on the brake pedal was something that looked like it might work today...
Put another inch in the draglink, or make a new draglink 1 inch longer.

Tony.
I threw my wedge away and did a proper job with a lowered steering box. Not the cheapest solution but much better engineering, and I'm still happy with it 20 years later. Apart from the danger of the steering going over centre, the wedge also means the brake pedal is in the wrong place and the steering box is only fixed to the chassis with the 2 vertical bolts, without the brake pedal pivot fixing it horizontally.
Are you able to provide bespoke angled steering boxes David?
(24-04-2020, 08:08 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: Put another inch in the draglink, or make a new draglink 1 inch longer.

Tony.

Perfect - thank you!
(24-04-2020, 09:06 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Are you able to provide bespoke angled steering boxes David?

Sorry, no. Just the Ulster and Cup/coupe versions.
Thank you - this is rather “special”, watch this space!
You could alleviate the problem by using one of David's boxes and then only needing a small wedge to suit your Bespoke angle.
Black Art Enthusiast
If you've changed the position of the steering box (or fitted a Big 7 steering arm) you'll find that you need to adjust the length of the 'Steering Side Tube, BM 99'.
Hi Henry

Thanks for the “heads up” on the big Seven steering arm.  My steering box is in the original position (ie I’m still using the original brake pin hole in the chassis,) but the angle altered by about 5 degrees using a small wedge and slightly shaving the back of the flange plate. I’ve also fitted a big seven arm.  I didn’t think the distance between the end of the steering lever and end of the big seven arm had changed that much from the original set up. How would you suggest altering the steering side tube?

Cheers

Howard