The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rod brakes - was the handbrake different?
Can anyone with a rod braked car post a photo of the handbrake please? The one I have fitted at the moment seems too far forward when off.

Many thanks.
According to the Parts Lists, the cabled-braked lever is 1A5489, the rod-braked one is 1A5564. The illustration used is the same in both Parts Lists, so I cannot advise just what the difference is.
The one I have is not different, I will try to take pictures later

Not sure if this will help but it is a picture I took during dismantling, I will head out to the shed soon and see if I photograph the Handbrake lever against some others for comparison. 

.jpg   DSC05795.jpg (Size: 260.16 KB / Downloads: 409)
Black Art Enthusiast
The lever I have is leaning too far forward.
The lever and ratchet is the same as a Ruby one but the roller at the bottom is larger diameter, in the picture left is a Chummy lever, centre Rod braked Ruby, right semi grilling Ruby.

Black Art Enthusiast
Thank you Ian.
Thanks to a photo on Facebook today and some research in the archives I have know managed to find out what is different in regards to the rod brake handbrake.

It is the bracket on the chassis.

Rod brake handbrake bracket (ignore the bracket in the red outlineline, it is the bracket the handbrake pivots on I want to highlight):

.jpg   Rod brake handbrake set up..jpg (Size: 70.29 KB / Downloads: 265)

This is the one as fitted to non-rod braked cars (the lower part is at a different angle and the bottom fixing is rounder):

IA 5197 was introduced in 1930 along with coupled brakes, and ran until...

.png   Screenshot 2020-05-06 at 18.38.34.png (Size: 89.95 KB / Downloads: 265)

In introduction of Rod brakes when 1A5646 was then used (unfortunately the same drawing was used for both in the parts list - never a good source for identification of physical changes in my opinion).

.jpg   Screenshot 2020-05-06 at 18.38.34.jpg (Size: 26.87 KB / Downloads: 267)

Very pleased that I have a solution and also to have learned (yet) another difference in production.
So the difference is in the position of the pivot point?
You tell me...

I suspect so but, until I find one to compare, I am surmising.
Well, from those two photos, the pivot point of the common version is halfway between the mounting rivets, whereas the rod-braked version is more like 1/3 - 2/3.