The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ulsteroid trials and tribulations
(16-02-2019, 08:24 PM)spannerman Wrote: Have built a trials come hill climb special from remains of a 1938 ruby that I had left in a will,
Just adding finishing touches to it. I would like to do some long distance trials in it
And Would like to know what I need to do to make car more usable as trials car ,
What tyres to use ? What spares I need to take , have done them on a 1950 ajs bike and
Had a lot of fun ? I'm a good engineer so making and repairs are no problem ! Just trying to find out any info that will help me?
Thank you

Hi Spiderman

I would recommend doing class 0 on a couple of MCC events before diving into the main trial. Class 0 is supposed to be less damaging and not as rough as the main trial, sometimes its hard to tell the difference, but overall there are less of the really bad hills.

Tyres wise, I use 400-19 Mytas Ho2 mainly because they are cheap. If you are running 17" wheels finding a good tyre maybe a bit difficult. The Excelsior looks to have the best tread, but I know the sidewalls are quite stiff, which is not a good thing. There is a list of approved tyres which you have to stick to. Ideally you want to be able to carry two spares. although we only carry one as a rule.

Otherwise, its a matter of having a well  bolted together car, anything that can come loose, plus some things you didn't think could, will come loose! As MCC events run right through the night , in the winter, you need a working charging system, or a back up plan, along with reliable lights. We only carry points, condenser, a few bits of electrical wire, gaffer tape, cable ties and a stripped back, but comprehensive tool box. Weight anywhere in front of the back axle is your enemy!

See you on the Edinburgh trial, October, in the Peak District.

Hope that helps

Stuart

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ulsteroid trials and tribulations - by DavidL - 26-04-2018, 01:44 PM
RE: Ulsteroid trials and tribulations - by Special Bits - 16-02-2019, 11:25 PM