The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Only for those with deep pockets
He refers to the previous owner having it for 12 years, so presumably this dealer now owns it, that being the case it did sell quite quickly .Might be more of a struggle now at just under £40K
Dealers who are selling on commission have a habit of referring to the 'previous owner' when they actually mean the 'previous owner once you've bought it'. I very much doubt a dealer who has paid actual money to put into his stock will be trading on a mere 20% mark-up. It all adds to the deception that the car's worth that much.
I've been watching this thread, resisting an urge to chuck in my twopen'orth, it's been most interesting.
As I'm sure Ian will agree, the time element in building actual items is probably a quarter of the time needed to conceive them.
I've built two Pembleton cars and two Austin 7 specials and the second question people ask is "How long did it take?" , usually after "What'll it do?" or "What's it worth"
A very rough estimate for the two Pembletons would be around 3000 hours each and that is probably an underestimate. If you were building to commission you would be charging at least £40.00 per hour so it has to be a labour of love in which you don't mind or are compelled to spend the same amount of time designing, making test pieces, re-doing after a lack of adequate forethought and having to backtrack several steps accordingly. This doesn't include the midnight sessions with the single malt,pencil,paper and racked brains. To suggest that someone could build it for £15k is fatuous nonsense IMHO, unless they have a private income or are prepared to work for nothing and have a fully equipped professional workshop at their disposal. The finished standard indicates that bodgery is not acceptable.
The car is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, or priceless depending on ones point of view.
Or, worth only the sum of the cost of the parts you can remember plus the value of the payments you can remember making.
Having seen the car at close quarters and inspected it (within the bounds of politeness) it's a cracker, well made, nicely detailed, very well finished and high gloss. I'd suggest it took at least 4000 hours so £40k represents £10.00 per hour.
It wouldn't do for me because I'd probably abuse it to death, let it go matt ASAP and enjoy myself silly doing it.
Well said Duncan - I agree entirely.

This car will find it's own value and that might be quite a bit more than most were expecting.
I think you miss the point. A car isn’t worth what it cost to build, it’s worth what someone will pay to become it’s new owner. It matters not a bit whether it’s 3000 or 4000 hours, or £10 or £40 per hour. At that price, it’s not up against Austin Sevens as such, it’s competing in a different league with some pretty nice cars to choose between. Let’s just say, I can see it’s a gorgeous car, I’m not disputing that, but at that price it’s not where my money would go.
Alan Fairless
People pay a lot more than that on so called works of art.
Tracey Emin / Damien Hurst no thanks !!!!!
I will take the Austin ( If I could afford it )
Exactly, Alan.

If you want sporting performance you could have this:

Or, if you wanted to impress, how about this:

.jpg   1929 Lincoln.jpg (Size: 81.54 KB / Downloads: 266)

Either can be bought for less than the Austin; both are authentic and original, whereas the Brooklands could only be described as authentic.
they both look nice cars?

but are they still for sale because they are NOT what people are looking for?

not been confermed, but ive been told the brooklands sold very quickly?

we should be proud our sevens are worth such amounts, and so highly sort after.

rather than putting these cars down for the amounts they are worth,

tiny tomy.
Duncan neither I, nor Joss, nor Simon Jansen nor, Atho, nor Richard McWhannell have fully equiped professional workshops, we all mainly make things using mainly hand tools and a bit of skill. Are you saying that none of us could built that car for15 thousand pounds sterling to the quality and standard you suggest?? If you are you are severely mistaken, any one of us could do it as well as a number of others out there. Of course I agree if you are only capable of bolting together things that other people have made for you then you have absolutely no hope of achieving anything remotely close. I also don't think that the "professional" build cost has anything what so ever to do with quality or value, I have seen far to many cars badly built by "professionals" , just because a person charges you money for their time does not make them a skilled craftsman.

And Mike it is all down to personal taste, if I could afford it I would not by either of the cars you illustrated, nor would I buy the polished bauble that is the subject of this thread. We all have different tastes, we all value things differently, I am sure someone will pay what others feel is silly money for this car and if they do I am sure it will make them very happy. I think it is perfectly acceptable to express opinions, as long as we accept that others will at times completely disagree with us.
Black Art Enthusiast
(03-05-2020, 10:05 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: ..just because a person charges you money for their time does not make them a skilled craftsman.
It's an old story.
That'll be 2/6d.
How much!
2/6d.
What, 2/6d, just for hitting it?
No, 6d for hitting it and 2 bob for knowing where.
...I assume most of know what the digits mean....if not, we are all envious.