The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Only for those with deep pockets
This is the first of Tom Abernethy’s GE Brooklands replicas.

It was not so shiny when Tom owned it but is still the same car and still goes just as well as it did back then.

If the shine offends, do not fret, it will dull fairly quickly of it’s own accord.
(20-04-2020, 01:25 PM)vintage_racing Wrote: The car looks stunning, and would I'm sure cost almost as much to build today. 
The detail and finish is impressive - why the negativity?
Over polished maybe but a beautiful car,I'd like to think it was is my garage. It's only the price of a mini cooper S.
What a beauty !
Yes the shine is too much, but time and use as suggested by Ruairidh will soon put that right.
Maybe a good rub over with a scotch pad would look OK
I know it goes really well and is beautifully built.
Its different, so why not ?
Let's say £505 very fully equipped in 1924? - that's £30,900 today. Some over-restored Chummys have made close to that, or more, I believe - so why not with this rather splendid job?. If you're slim and light - and have a slimmer and lighter girlfriend - it would be ideal. Sadly, for 90% of us, those days are long gone.
The best of times, as they were long, long ago:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

cant beleive there is any negativity on this car.

is it jelousy or envy.

its a stunner, a well known car to the 7 world, i looked round the car at guildtown this year. and it drew a good crowd.

as sed if its to bright, it will dull down.

as for price, im in the possision to say you couldnt build it to that spec for that money today. and it still wouldnt be as well known if you could. half the parts you would seriously struggle to get. 

there is £2k worth of wheels and tyres for starters.

a well known body companie on this sight will charge you just over £20k for the body and wings ro be made new.

so what is there to complain about the price.

tony.
Looks superb, I would love to own it but would need to sell my other Sevens first.
As others have said, you would struggle to build it for that money, you would also spend a long time looking for parts without finding all that you need.
Beautiful car, negatives are either ill informed or jealous.
if someone wants to start building one of these.

there was an early chassis on ebay last year, it looked to be a 1925 altered to look like a 1923. for restoration. NO docs. £10k

also if my memory is correct. check the pics. this car has one of the original rev counter/speedo combination gauges. beautiful things. they usually sell for well over £500 working.

i doubt it will be for sale for long, and serprised the owner didnt wait for a nice auction. to get a much larger price.

tony
This is a photo of Tom's Brooklands taken in his garage when I went to meet him in Summer 1993. It was still in progress at the time.

Cheers

Marcus

Attached Files
.jpg   CCF21042020-page-001.jpg (Size: 219.72 KB / Downloads: 315)
Didn't know the Brooklands Super Sport had plated acorn nuts on the cylinder head - difficult to tighten down correctly ?
I started this thread with the expectation that it would generate some correspondence, and I have not been disappointed! As expected, opinions have polarised into the two extremes.

Ruairidh is quite correct, this car created quite a crowd at Guildtown last year - I was amongst the onlookers. But I was not looking with appreciation, more with amazement; I thought the 1970s American approach to presentation had long been discarded! Ruairidh may well be correct to suggest that a year or two of use will tone down the 'bling', but no amount of neglect, abuse or creative 'antiquing' will ever reinstate the original factory finish to items like the crankcase and gearbox.

Tony Betts is also correct to suggest that it would be easy to spend the asking price on creating another like it, but it would also be easy -  well, possible, anyway - for one of at least half-a-dozen regular contributors to this forum to create an equally correct car for less than £10,000. Either approach could create a car of equal value, which would be the market value, with no reflection on the actual cost of the individual vehicle. Is that market value £35,000? I doubt it, but let's watch with interest!