The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
140 oil again!
I'm having a clear out of my oil shelf.

I'm aware of the Hypoid /Hypress discussions but can anyone tell me which this is? and is it suitable for my back axle? I have D140 which I know is suitable but I couldn't decide whether to chuck this out or not.

Peter.

GL4 spec. Fine.

Steve
I agree - this is perfectly okay to use.
Thank you both, that's great. I have enough to last me a lifetime!

Peter.
Note the API rating of GL4, this means that the sulphur added to improve performance is inactive and will not attack bronze bearings. Oil with an API rating of GL5 also had inactive sulphur.
In an EP oil does not have GL4 or GL5 rating it will attach bronze bearings over time.
Most sources claim that even modern GL5 will not attack brass and bronze, at least not at temps likely to be reached in a Seven diff. .However the occasional seemingly authoratative source still casts doubt on GL5, but GL4 OK..
Publication 843/C by the Austin Motor Co but dated 1957 so presumably a reprint gives data for all Austin 1936/39 models. EP 140 for diffs. (I have noticed these oils used to settle markedly. As garages dispensed from 40 gal drums I dont know what late users received.)