The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lakeland roads - as they used to be
From the Facebook A7 Group. Such a shame that the roads are not like that now - ideal for Seven adventures. And boy, does that car take a beating, especially towrds the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jHyutfR...Ts12Eleg2I
Thank you, Tony, I enjoyed that; not a film I had seen previously.
Some of them have been tarred and others are in even worse condition. Would be fun trying wouldn’t it?
Alan Fairless
(17-04-2020, 05:52 PM)Alan Wrote: Some of them have been tarred and others are in even worse condition. Would be fun trying wouldn’t it?
It would - a perfect post-lockdown adventure.
What a treat! Many thanks for posting that.
Brilliant! I think I'll sell my Land Rover and buy an Austin 8!
(18-04-2020, 12:00 PM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: Brilliant! I think I'll sell my Land Rover and buy an Austin 8!
Oddly, it might do quite well. The "Eight" was based on the Big Seven and, Bert Hadly, Austin works driver and trials competitor in a Grasshopper, also used his Big Seven to good effect: "I took my Big 7, accompanied by Bob in the Exeter Trial of 1939 and gained a premier award. It made us wonder why we had endured all that open car and drenching rain nonsense."
I agree that this could be ideal for a post-lockdown adventure. Spread over two or three days we could set out on an 'Everest Run' - 29,000 ft.

I don't know the Lakes at all except by name and that ignorance makes it difficult to decipher some of the place names delivered in such clipped tones by the voiceover.

Has anyone got time and inclination to list in order the passes that were climbed - and then can we identify what still exists and is driveable?
I've seen another version of this film before which had no sound.  I immediately thought it would be a good run but many of the roads used have been reclassified so as to ban motor vehicles.
At 234 miles in the day it would be quite a challenge!
I suspect that we may have long enough in lock-down to come up with something similar.
I think the 234 miles may have been over two days; about half-way through the film it mentions a hundred miles in 6 hours running time.