The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rose joints
Good morning
Im relatively new to Austin 7`s but not to car restoration. I have a Triumph Roadster 1949 and having supported a friend in the PWA7 club I decided to buy a 7, so have  a 1939 PD Tourer

Working on the Draglink and find the tube badly worn. Are there Rose joint alternatives available or is it a case of making a new tube
Thanks

Also a friend wants a Ruby chassis
I suppose you could use rose joints, but I’d think carefully if it’s for a road car. The standard drag link has springs to give it some compliance. Road shocks and rose joints don’t go well together.
Alan Fairless
(12-04-2020, 12:04 PM)Alan Wrote: I suppose you could use rose joints, but I’d think carefully if it’s for a road car. The standard drag link has springs to give it some compliance.  Road shocks and rose joints don’t go well together.

Hi Alan

Interested in your comment about road shocks.  Any chance you could elaborate?  I’ve seen many kit car double wishbone systems that use rose joints and I guess they would be subject to as much, if not more, shocks.

Cheers

Howard
I’m sure there are, Howard, and maybe they survive for a while, all I’m saying, as a car chassis designer, I wouldn’t do it.
Alan Fairless
The racing lads use the with no problems as far as I know?
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
Thanks Alan

I wouldn’t do it because they don’t look “period”!

Cheers

Howard
There’s a lot of difference between a race track and public roads. No potholes for a start. There’s no doubt rose joints give more accurate suspension geometry but it comes at a price, and the rubber joints on road cars aren’t there because it’s cheaper. I seemed to get through an awful lot of rose joints when I had a modern race car.
Alan Fairless
I understand kits are available. If the drillings are hopelessly worn there must be myriads of spares around.
Whilst tinkering with the steering try Steering Arms in Search.
I made the mistake of using rose joints on the radius arms on a hot rod many years ago, not only were road shocks transmitted through to the whole car, they were knackered in under a thousand miles!
I believe that the OP was simply asking if and where he can purchase the original design ball joint, if so I suggest Austin Seven Components, 7 Counties Austins, or The Seven Workshop all of whom should have them in stock.
Black Art Enthusiast