The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Painting
It has been awhile since posting.
We have moved to a new property so lots of non A7 work to do.
Now Agatha back in the workshop so work on the body started.
We are not trying to achieve show standard just clean usable.
Colour is black with maroon with lots of the paintwork good however one wing will probably need repaint
Also several areas need small damage repair.
Not sure whether to spray or coach paint ?
Also what were the original black/maroon Ruby colours ?
Comments/advice most welcome.
Regards
             Tim
There is the option of spraying coach paint. Also a small foam roller can be successful with some paints. Use a brush at the same time for fiddley bits.
and as for colours, as ever, the Archive holds all you need to know...

http://archive.a7ca.org/collections/paints-and-colours/

Adam Brown, at Craftmaster Paints, can supply paints matched to these swatches...
Plus one for Craftmaster, nice quality paint.

I used coach paint on my Ulster rep, applied with a 3" brush. It doesn't look at all bad, but is a LOT of work if you don't want to see brush marks - unless you are more gifted than I am.

Craftmaster can supply spraying cellulose I believe, that's the way I would go now.

Coach enamel is not much use for patch repairs - you have to do the whole panel or you will be left with an unsightly join.
My 1939 Ruby ARR is black & maroon don't think its been resprayed and I found a perfect maroon match with Halfords Vauxhall Burgundy red rattle can  Wink
Hi Tiger

I’m with Chris and advocate spraying. You can get a good finish with cellulose and if not it will cut back and polish well.  It may mean you buying a compressor but one will pay for itself in no time by all the other things you can do...pump tyres, air hammer rivets, tighten or loosen bolt and nuts, air chisel things etc etc...

Cheers

Howard
After trailling gloss and then satin, I've been using a matt black phosphate rich self priming xylene based paint from Arcrite (they sell it for military use) to better blend in with the other original panels on the woodie. You can build it up then flat it back with wet and dry to get a perfect finish if you really want. But one realises how new paintwork is generally too damn shiny. You can work to lower tolerances with less shine too. This pic is all the original aluminium. Same paint great for chassis too!    
Thanks for all the comments.
Craftmaster supplied the black cellulose great service.
So the wing is ready to refit.
Hope to start work on the roof next.

Also progress on the carb. Jets on closer inspection the slow running jet looks O.K
I dropped the float chamber level and mixture is better.
Regards
Tim
Always nice to hear an outcome Tim. Good luck with your paint job.