The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nippy Gauges
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at restoring the dash panel and gauges for my 1936 Nippy. I'm fairly confident that I have the correct ignition switch and Speedometer, but I'm not so sure about the fuel, ammeter and oil pressure gauges. I was always under the impression that the fuel gauge and ammeter were fairly standard across the range but when I have checked the special parts list (1406NS) they are listed so would I be correct in assuming they aren't the standard's versions?

With regards the oil pressure gauge, I know that they were different (up to 60psi David Harcourt) based on whether or not the engine was force lubricated (which I believe was used from engine no: 241541), although my engine is 240XXX so in this case what version of the gauge do I need to use?

I've (hopefully  Smile )  attached some pictures of the gauges that came with my car but they were loose and I think they came from other projects. 

Sorry to bombard you all with questions, I just want to try and expand my knowledge and prioritise restoring the gauges that would be correct for my car instead the 'incorrect' versions.

Thanks in advance

Matthew

Matthew, do you have Chris Gould's "A Guide to the Austin "65" and Nippy"? If not it would be well worth your while to acquire one (I can put you in touch with Chris).

In it he writes that the 'later' cars (I think this applies to yours) had a standard Ruby instrument panel with exception of the speedo & oil pressure gauge. The explanation of speedos is complex (pm me if you need details) but it boils down to the fact that the Nippy had 1000 cable turns per mile instead of 1040 - this is marked on the gauge front. Chris says Morris 8's used 1000 tpm speedos and they are very similar (and much more plentiful). n.b. Of course if you don't have the Nippy axle ratio you might be better off with one that reads correctly.

Pressure fed Nippies had David Harcourt 60 psi oil pressure gauges, these are not so easy to find and expensive if you find one. Logically I suppose cars with touring engines had the Ruby gauge.
The speedo on my RP is a Smiths MA rather than the Magmo. It is also a 1000 turns per mile and carries a model number 42871 with a max speed of 75mph. Is it a Nippy one or a Morris one?
I dug this photo out only two days ago for another forum member. It is from my 1934 Type 65. I cannot guarantee it is correct for that year but I believe so.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks for your replies.

Reckless - I think Chris Gould's book makes reference to the Smith's MA version on the Nippy as being X42873 1000 but with no line between. Having said that, I'm not sure if that is the only option used on Nippy's.

Thanks for the picture Colin, its very helpful. Interestingly, the fuel and ammeter gauges are different to what I have, again I'm not sure which is correct. It would be great to have more Nippy dash pictures to compare.

Thanks again

Matthew
Better to have gambled and lost...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi Everyone,

I just wonder if I could ask for your advice? I've blasted, welded up the extra hole and primed my dash panel (it's had another coat since the picture). I believe from looking at other examples its meant to have a black high gloss finish. I was just wondering if anybody has any recommendations of which paint is best for the job?

Thanks

If your car has the normal nippy engine "spit and hope" lubrication - then theses gauges are correct.
If on the other hand your car was fitted with a pressure fed engine (was available as an extra) then it would have a 0 - 60 psi pressure gauge.
The amp meter and fuel gauge would  remain the same.
Hope that helps.
Hi Nick

Thanks for your reply, my engine isn't pressure so I think I'll be alright with the gauge I have.

With regards the fuel gauge I've discovered something recently that seems to suggest that fuel gauges weren't the standard fitment. In two Nippy parts lists it has the part number listed 2H1079 whereas in the standard parts list is has it down as 2H1417. I must admit I think the gauge I have is 2H1417 and I have seen a couple the same (it seems to be written just above the needle). Having said all that they are all listed as 'gallons' so imagine the differences are negligible, but I just wonder if anyone has pictures of a 2H1079, if indeed it is labelled as such?

Thanks
Hi Everyone,

I'm rather embarrassed to say that I made a discovery yesterday that I feel I should have spotted earlier (I'll just chalk it up to experience and learning). I didn't realise that there are at least two sizes of David Harcourt 10 psi gauge, sufficed to say I have the wrong one.

I don't suppose anybody has any thoughts on the different part number for the petrol gauge?

Thanks

Matthew