The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil baffles
Hi,

I am trying to fit a set of oil baffles to a early 1926 engine but I am finding the recesses don’t look deep enough. Where the later oil baffles thicker than early ones?

Thanks

David
Not in my experience, but I throw them away rather than fit them
Black Art Enthusiast
I follow Ian's advice, the science that puts the mixture above the piston also draws the oil through the slot in the baffle.
(02-04-2020, 10:26 AM)Dave Mann Wrote: I follow Ian's advice, the science that puts the mixture above the piston also draws the oil through the slot in the baffle.
I bow to Mr. Mann's vast experience and knowledge - all based upon sound empirical evidence. One wonders what, if any, experiments were carried out with baffles by the factory - or, indeed, subsequently by any of us?
My engine has run without baffles for the last ten years without problems. I have no scientific proof but I think it maybe something to do with modern pistons having the lower oil ring.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
First thing I threw away in about 1972. Never missed them.
Didn't the factory have great problems with oil burning at start up causing many 'smoking' engines to be replaced at the test stage ? 

The baffles may have been an attempt to stop this.
Somebody must have done a before and after test with no other changes. It is astonishing how much oil a Seven can burn....with baffles. I wonder if supposed to channel downward droplets toward the con rod drillings. Although Ricardo reckons all so hectic that attempts to direct spray futile. Suppose on a racing engine adds slightly to pumping losses. I squeezed them very close on my car but still used 1pint in 300 hot main road running after rebore.
In my experience with good bores, rings, valves and guide's sevens do not burn very much oil at, all certainly significantly less than a pint every 300! Some engines might leak this amount of oil but properly assembled most leaks can be stemmed to little more than the occasional drip

Edit, I should add that the first engine I built did smoke after new rings, it was the last engine that I used oil baffles on! it was rebuilt again without them and used little oil until i broke the crank.
Black Art Enthusiast
For what it's worth the engine on my RP with oil baffles fitted was burning/leaking at a rate of about 100 miles to the pint before it was rebored. Now with +040 pistons and no oil baffles it hardly uses any at all. Since running in I did a long run across northern Spain with two crossings of the Pyrenees and over 2000 miles it used a pint and a half of oil. Consumption is still improving as the engine continues to bed in.