The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Davy Jones' Locker
May one presume that R.M.S. Tahiti - and her cargo - still rests at the bottom of the Pacific?

For those wondering what an earth the old twit is rambling about, I have finally - yes, finally - sat down to read 'Round the World in a Baby Austin' and got as far as discovering why the trip was made in "Emily II".

I have to say the Wikipedia entry for R.M.S Tahiti makes sobering reading; she did have a few 'adventures' in her day! Some of which seem rather pertinent:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Tahiti
Ha ha well that sank like a pebble to the sea bed! Shame to think of a vintage A7 sitting there waiting for someone to claim her as salvage.
Well I read it Chris!

Sadly I think very little of the Austin will remain after all these years, but wouldn’t it be great to send an RV down there to have a look?

It looks like RMS Tahiti was destined to sink following its disastrous career.
Yay! Well done Ivor.

By all accounts Emily (I) was fairly well strapped down and there was no catastrophic crash, so it's reasonable to suppose she sank 3 miles to the bottom in one piece. As you say though, after 90 years on the bed of the Pacific she's probably dwindling in the restorability stakes. Mind you, wouldn't be the first vintage car that's been 'restored' from a brass wheel nut!

I can only guess McQuarrie didn't know the history of this vessel before he bought the tickets - or were people made of sterner stuff in those days?
At the risk of offending you Chris, I find Round the World... poorly written and frankly boring. His other Seven book, Little Wheels, published in the UK but previously titled in Australia We and the Baby, a far better and more interesting read. The Australian edition has more photographs so is the better one.
Not offended in the least Chris and now that I've read past the shipwreck I must say I'm rapidly coming around to the same opinion (though I've not read the others you mention). It seems like a thing I really ought to read so I will finish it, but 'Coleman's Drive' or 'Seven Years with Samantha' it surely isn't.

Meanwhile I'm quietly designing a submarine to go looking for Emily in...  Smile
Many years ago I sailed with Elder Dempster lines, the original owners of the vessel when she was Port Kingston. I dug out my fleet history and looked her up, there wasn't much more than the Wikipedia article. However, her history wasn't all that unusual. A number of the ships that I sailed on had accidents, and several came to a watery end.
Now you mention it Roger, I sailed on the 'Herald of Free Enterprise" a number of times!
The account of the sinking is interesting. Until the weather improved they were at very great peril. As a boy my grandparents had photo centrepages from a local weekly. The photos of crew manipulating a giant baling bucket etc were impressive. (The propshaft broke and the prop probably gashed the hull as well and the ship very slowly filled and eventually sank) . The other bloke was the mechanical one and main driver. The book has very little about the actual car; could all fit on two pages.  And road features etc which would be remarkable today then were not. However the book is an interesting reflection on ways and attitudes of the time. The pair were effectively upper class Poms; modern commentators would be bemused and horrified. Comments about personalities would get you sued today. I reviewed it some long time ago
(04-04-2020, 12:39 PM)Chris KC Wrote: Now you mention it Roger, I sailed on the 'Herald of Free Enterprise" a number of times!

A very good friend and fellow MN officer was very thankful that he wasn't Master of that ship on that trip, he had been many times previously.