The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Repair Shop - again
Last nights episode. 

What a complex machine a jukebox is, I was gobsmacked!

Roly
1931 RN, 1933 APD
Yes it was impressive, he could have gutted the electrics and replaced them with a chip. The clock was interesting, and the guy putting a torch to the compass binnacle was a brave man.
Not forgetting Tim sympathetically rekindking the Moulton
I understand the sequence mechanism of early juke boxes inspired  automatic washing machines. It would be wonderful if they had stuck to them; would not have to buy a new machine every time an electronic failure,
The programme is very interesting; the Brits use ordinary everyday people who are as interesting as the work. The token ethnic acting as foreman irritates. Noone who acheives anything practical ever wears snow white clothing. 
Was the workshop built by the Celts or the Saxons? Anything 19th century is very old here. 
The more you know about topics the more scope can be seen for better. A recent do up of a prewar sports style ladies bicycle in unbelievably worn conditon drew no comment about the type and little about the wear. As a school boy I was given a hand me down bike and in the manner of the time it had been used as everyday transport for decades and was worn to a degree now not seen. The Repair shop one was extraordinary. It appeared the chain could be lifted far off the chainwheel. it must have done umpteen thousands of miles. 
Some things seem to be done just for visual effect. To unscrew the scrap sprocket, sure to respond to a drift, or very slight heat, it appeared to be heated dull red!! Attached hardened parts of the gear hub would be ruined. How splits in the very thin mudguards were repaired was not shown.
Bob, the Repair Shop barn is at the Weald and Downland Museum:
https://www.wealddown.co.uk/buildings/court-barn/
It's hard to believe that anyone does any real work there, it's so immaculately clean! They must have twice as many cleaners as repairers. along with display artists to strategically place all those various nick nacks carefully illuminated in odd corners, presumably to look random.
I enjoy watching the Repair Shop (so does my wife), and its growing popularity has led to it being promoted to a mainstream BBC slot.  OK, so it has one foot in "Telly Land" but the presenter and craftspeople are clearly chosen on their merits. The stories behind the objects underline one of the main reasons we hang on to things, because they are a link back to happy memories and times with people we loved.

Compared to most "lifestyle" programmes it is a refreshing change.  No "coming up after the break", no "what we did before the break if you have the memory of a goldfish", no artificially rushed schedules, no scripted banter and no fake crises or shouty arguments.

The Weald and Downland Museum is a fascinating place to visit, with many rescued historic buildings set in a natural looking rural park.  I remember one house which had an open central fire on a stone slab, with no chimney of any kind, the smoke just rising up through gaps in the tall thatched roof. Certainly made your eyes water, perhaps our distant ancestors got used to being kippered !
I find all of these types of programs could do with more of how things are actually done rather than the usually irritating presenter,or impossible deadlines to meet,ie Car SOS. Fast and Loud.I dont think anyone could rebuild/build a car from scratch and not at least have to sort the inevitable snagging faults.
Must add The repair shop to the recordings to watch.
The american programs I think often make the work force look stupid,perhaps to make more dramatic viewing.They must have the skills however to produce the vehicles they do.
I wasn't too impressed by Tim with the bike. Knowing that the program is made for TV and is oversimplified it's not so bad.
Still the best reality show on tv. My wife loves it and she is the least technical person I know. We were both gobsmacked by the jukebox.
I find it an enjoyable programme but they have started to make far, far too much of the emotions of the object owners. Of course people will cry when they relate a sad tale or see a cherished item back in fine fettle -  but it is being exploited by the producers and for me, it spoils the show.

As for irritating presenters...where to start? I find Tim Shaw a total pain in Car SOS, and Mike Brewer drives me up the wall whatever he is presenting, while Henry Cole has me reaching for the remote control. Sorry. I am being a grumpy git.