The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anti Freeze
What are the members thoughts on running with blue anti freeze all year long to inhibit corrosion
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
Sounds normal to me. The next question is how long to leave it there.
I use blue antifreeze in all three of my cars all the year round and have done so for many years. Blue (ethylene glycol based) antifreeze should be changed every two years. As I understand matters (and no doubt there will be someone on the forum who is more technically savvy than me) the antifreeze contains corrosion inhibitors that 'go off' presumably because they inhibit corrosion by chemical reaction.

It is because of the corrosion inhibiting properties, especially given the delicate state of many Austin Seven blocks and the studs that hold the water manifolds in place that I use it on a permanent basis, changing it, as I hvae said at least once every two years.
It just seems wrong that we throw away all that ethylene glycol just because an additive against corrosion has expired. A bit like throwing the car away when the petrol tank is empty.
I dont suppose it applies in UK but for those not subject to freezing there are vastly less expensive additves, most which preserve the full specific heat of water. Unfortunately I suspect drainng even with additive promotes corrosion, esp if air can enter.
Andrew, anti-freeze is a consumable, just the same as oil or brake fluid. Most folks get a fairly good innings out of it - but after 2 or 3 years it really wants replacing.

Whilst I thoroughly understand thrifty instincts, it's the (disposable) fluid which keeps your cooling system in good nick for years to come.
(15-03-2020, 12:15 PM)Chris KC Wrote: Andrew, anti-freeze is a consumable, just the same as oil or brake fluid. Most folks get a fairly good innings out of it - but after 2 or 3 years it really wants replacing.

Whilst I thoroughly understand thrifty instincts, it's the (disposable) fluid which keeps your cooling system in good nick for years to come.

Chris, it doesn't seem acceptable to just replace it every couple of years. Using up natural resources, lots of processing and transport, then how do we dispose of it? If you google 'dispose of antifreeze' it seems that many people can't find a solution.

Frequent changing of oil and brake fluid also bothers me. My last 'modern' we had the same brake fluid in for 17 years, and changed the engine oil every 20,000 miles. Probably people will say this was wrong, but it saved a lot of resources.
I recall reading somewhere about a special antifreeze that contains no water and requires no changing. It also has a higher boiling point than water. A quick google found this stuff. Has anybody any experience of this type of fluid, which seems to address the environmental concerns expressed here?

https://www.evanscoolant.com/faq/operation
Except that their FAQs suggest that it not suitable for thermosyphon cooling systems!
Suffolk, UK

1925 Chummy
1934 Box
Well spotted. Although they do say "We normally do not suggest using Evans Waterless Coolant in this application, although we have had success in the past." Has anyone tried this stuff, or a similar waterless product, in a seven?