The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chassis felt?
I recently removed the body from my RP. 
It was last off the chassis in 1970. At the time I fitted new felt soaked in oil. 
Since then there has been considerable rusting on the top of the rear 300mm of the OS main chassis member. 
When I put the body back I am disinclined to use felt and hope to find something modern that is non absorbent. 
Any suggestions?
I used a neoprene rubber strip when I rebuilt my RP in 1974-5. However I can't report on results as I haven't removed the body since.
I used felt well soaked in grease, but can't comment on its condition 40 years later.
I managed to find a rubber strip about 3 or 4mm thick with a self adhesive backing, from ebay.
I soak the felt in Waxoyl, it works so far...
Henry, 
the RN was fitted with Waxoyled felt thirty years ago and visually still appears sound. All the other cars I've built have had self adhesive closed cell foam which doesn't absorb moisture.
I'm not a fan of Waxoyl, in my experience if exposed to the elements it will eventually wash away.
I favour using needle punched carpet material impregnated with waxoyl.
So far so good.
(12-03-2020, 09:46 PM)Henry Harris Wrote: I'm not a fan of Waxoyl, in my experience if exposed to the elements it will eventually wash away.

It is not a permanent 'fit and forget' product. All my cars are waxoyled and it certainly preserves them, but it needs redoing every two years or so.
im perhaps close to nicks idea.

i use a stregthening web that can be bought from most sewing shops.

same width as the chassis.

personally i used the black chain grease, its the most horrible grease available sticks lick sh** to a blanket.

so it wont wash away. and dont trap water.

but you are welcome to use anything, just remember you want to restrict vibration, and keep water out.

tony