The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear and side glass
I am having problems installing the rear widescreens .i have new rubber seals which don’t seem to match the profile, thickness of the glass is there a right way to install the glass?
It rather depends which model you have. The seals for the Box saloons, the Ruby and the RK are all different. Which do you have. Also which rubber is it?
I have an RP saloon 1934.The rubber seals were supplied by the seven workshop.
It's quite a fiddle getting the seals to stay in place with the glass fitted as the inside edge of the seal is actually held in place by the trim panel. Applies to both rear screen and side windows.
There is a bit of a knack to fitting the glass and seals, apart from the need for another pair of hands. It is a long time since I did it, but you need to fit the seal to the glass and hold it in place with a string all round behind the lip which finally settles against the body. One person offers up the assembly from inside the car while the other gently pulls the string to get the lip to settle around the rim of the body hole. I have found it useful to hold the thing in place with some small home-made aluminium clips screwed to the woodwork to hold the rubber channel in place. After this you can fit the inner covered plywood surround, again using the string method to get the rubber into its proper position. Sorry I do not have a video of this! Good luck.
Robert Leigh
Thank you for the advice I think that some fishing line and some help from the lady of the house might be required.
Indeed, the traditional answer to what one did at the weekend. Anything to do with Seven glass the answer was that the activity involved the wife, Vaseline and a long piece of string.
Hi Hentzant

Be careful using fishing line it could cut the rubber!

Better to use some nylon cord and plenty of washing up liquid.

Cheers

Howard
Agree soft cord and washing liquid, works very well, we've done lots of our cars like this.

Start at the bottom with an overlap on the cord and gently but firmly pull the cord out over the lip ensuring the rubber then straddles that same lip while an assistant hold the glass on the outside - glass is pretty hard stuff, I usually strike the glass with the flat of my hand in the direction I want it to go to settle it into the rubber and the flange.

The reason for the bottom start is so that when you get the top, the cord is being pulled in and down into the interior, in contrast a top start means you have to pull up at the end and any slippage is directly onto the headlining - bad news if you are using a bit of wood to wrap the cord over to get a firm grip

Aye
Greig