The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A7 Developments for 1929
From "The Light Car and Cyclecar Magazine".  The "rep" upholstery mentioned (sometimes listed as Repp or Reps) is a cloth woven in distinctive rounded "cords" or wider "ribs" across the width of a piece.

If you would like an ultra-high-resolution download, click here.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

rouned, Tony? That is a great article. What are peoples' interpretations of the "fixed roof built upon a metal panelled body foundation up to the waist rail"?
(09-03-2020, 10:14 PM)JonE Wrote: rouned, Tony? That is a great article. What are peoples' interpretations of the "fixed roof built upon a metal panelled body foundation up to the waist rail"?
Ah! A quick typo. "rouned" should, of course, be "rounded".
(09-03-2020, 10:14 PM)JonE Wrote: What are peoples' interpretations of the "fixed roof built upon a metal panelled body foundation up to the waist rail"?

There is surprising amount of metal panel work beneath the fabric covering of those cars, surprising to me at least.
The text refers to the 'newly introduced' coupe, which had alloy panels below the waist, and fabric above.
Interesting that this photo shows the windscreen at full depth of the opening, whereas the majority of RK saloons seem to have a wooden fillet below the screen, the frame of which is an inch or two shorter. I cannot figure out why this was done, Austin could clearly produce full height screens but chose not to?
 Huh
I can't explain why, but the alloy-bodied RKs had the wooden fillet you describe, whereas the fabric-bodied RFs had the full-depth screen.
(10-03-2020, 09:15 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: The text refers to the 'newly introduced' coupe, which had alloy panels below the waist, and fabric above.
ah! of course. thankyou for clarifying.

This model featured is the RF (2) fabric variant. 

BUT, both RF (3) and aluminium RKs have the fillet and that style of slightly shorter windscreen, along with a separate peak.

I wondered whether the fillet below was something to do with their vision for the next bonnet level rise with the RG/M... but of course that had a completely different all steel 
construction.

Tony, do you have limitless supplies of LCC magazine? What we desperately need to find is the report from a year previous (or more) when or IF the RF (1) variant, which is only seen in one factory photo, ever was released to the public as the first fabric body. It is largely the same pattern as the R Saloon. But no-one has ever seen a (real) one.

The "move to the wide doors" was featured in the Grey mag a year or so back, but its archived here too:
https://sevenrk.wordpress.com/rf-rk-survival/
My 1929 fabric saloon has the wooden fillet below the screen. I believe there were 2 depths of fillet used and the 'no-fillet' as illustrated.
Jim
Very interesting article and handy for my RK restoration. From the photo, was there no dash light on this model?