The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lucas SB5 cut out
    Hello all, Im after a bit of info' if possible. Its Lucas C35 dynamo and SB5 cut out related although not actually an Austin 7! 
My resistor box on top of the dynamo has 3 terminals, D, F1 and F2, the lighting switch and the cut out match but what terminals  do the resistor and the dynamo wires connect to inside the resistor box? I have 2 wires coming out of the dynamo body, the 'D' and the 'F'. I will try and post pictures. 

Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I think someone has been playing. Where did the wire from the field connect to? If you remove the fuse you will find a terminal screw under the fuse carrier which doesn't have a brass link, this is where I would expect the wire from the field coil to terminate, be careful it is a solid copper wire (not stranded) and is easily broken. The wire from the main brush I would expect to terminate at the D terminal, it passes up through the hole in the base next to the D terminal and into the D terminal through the hole in the side of the D terminal. With that arrangement you would need three wires from the charge control switch ( I don't know which one you have) to the dynamo and making between D and F1 will give half charge whilst D to F2 will give full charge. It would help to know what lighting/charge control switch you have. Note these comments are derived from my Seven experiences which have a different set up.
If you convert it into a single sided electrical diagram and compare with diags in Cornwall site A Charging Refresher will probably all be clear. If there is just one resistor untapped then only two leads should exit the assemblies; the main output and the F lead. The output lead will be in direct connection with the D output from the main brush and may share the same terminal. On the Sevens with this arrangement the fuse serves the Feild winding and the F wire from innards connects direct to the fuse. (although on the later cars with remote resistors the fuse protects only the resistor and the connections are slightly different).)

Took more than 15 mins to asaemble. The above superceeeds!
The single core field wire connects to the terminal under the fuse, the other side of the fuse is connected via the strip on the underside to F2. The second strip goes from where the blue D wire is connected now (also the top of the home made looking resistor) to terminal F1, the D terminal on the resistor doesn't have anything connected to it just now.

Thanks Bob, I will take a look.