The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unknown piston set
Guys, I need some help. 

I recently came across a set of 4 cast iron pistons. They are slightly bigger than A7 pistons but they carry a scripted "Austin" logo on the top and the part number 1A1934.

Dimensions are as follows:

Diameter: 2.2635, oval, split skirt, down to 2.2632 (on the skirt)
Rings: 2 compression, 3/32", 1 oil control, 1/8"
Gudgeon pin: 1/2" dia.
Height of crown above gudgeon pin: 1 1/4"

I was going to put these on FleaBay but I (unlike many sellers it seems), like to know exactly what it is that I'm supposed to be selling!

Can anyone help by identifying them? They're not Big 7 (unless oversize) and probably came from and industrial engine I should think.

Regards

Tim Reynolds

Beresford Stork fire pump? they would be a .030" oversize piston for the Austin Eight motor though.
They may be aftermarket replacements, although there would surely be trademark issues? According to Oldhams Press 'Practical Automobile Engineering Illustrated' (circa 1955): "the practice of replacing aluminium pistons by cast iron ones on light commercial vans or travellers' cars is  sometimes adopted. This is done with a view to obtaining a much greater mileage, not possible with aluminium pistons, before cylinder reconditioning is again necessary..."
Hi AG
It seems a curious statement as virtually no wear of the piston surface or bore below the rings occurs. Perhaps in an era where most pistons were fully split skirt and nearly all closed up in use, a solid piston gave better service. Maybe with the old oils and poor air cleaners skirt wear was significant. The Chev 6 to the 50s was one of the last cars with iron pistons.
I wouldn't want to rev that too hard.