The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
European Emissions Zones
Anyone planning an A7 motoring adventure in Europe in the near future would be well advised to mug up on the increasing web of emissions restricted zones now in existence; some have exemptions for vintage vehicles but many do not. Worse, some of the rules are too vague to interpret with real confidence.

The best reference I have found so far is here: https://www.urbanaccessregulations.eu/

I spent at least a day studying the site last week, and below offer up a very simple summary of the restrictions (as I understand them) current in nations accessible from the UK by ferry (I've optimistically included Denmark and Norway, just in case we ever get those services back). I hope forum readers will find this helpful, but urge you to check important details for yourself (i.e. don't blame me!!) Please note the info was 'filtered' specifically with Austin Sevens in mind, and should not be applied to modern vehicles without checking for differences.

In my perception there are two areas of considerable concern for the future. In Germany, there are a huge number of restricted zones, but vintage cars are currently exempt. This exemption however specifically applies to cars with vintage car registration status in Germany; in other EU states; or in countries with reciprocal agreements. From the end of 2020 there is I think real doubt that any of those will apply to British-registered cars & travelling through Germany could become problematic..

At least the German scheme is well-organised and clear. In France a hotch-potch of different (and escalating) schemes exists with little unity. The 'helpful' advice I received from the Service de délivrance des Certificats Qualité de l’Air was "For any request relating to the implementation of the air quality certificate in a municipality, thank you to get closer to the town hall or the prefecture", which is plainly unworkable for a typical touring holiday. The transient nature of several zones also creates a risk that drivers may be unable to access pre-booked accommodation within zones, or even that passage though a region may be temporarily barred. I am given to understand those zones only operate for a few days each year, but they could still cause havoc should those days happen to coincide with your trip.

With the kind help of Robert Leigh I dug a little deeper, and I have it on good authority that UK historic registration will be accepted as equivalent to the French "carte grise <<collection>>" where such exemptions apply. Much confusion exists within France itself, and the advice is not to worry too much and you should be OK (though it may be wise as always to avoid provoking the police!) The system seems likely to be overhauled and hopefully rationalised in the near future. A warning too though that the present exemptions for vintage vehicles is up for review at the end of 2020 and could potentially be abolished - whatever Paris decides is likely to be mirrored by all subsequent schemes.

I would welcome input / corrections / relevant experience from other forum members.
There are already plenty of threads in which to debate the wisdom of the environmental movement though - so can we please limit this one to practical info in support of aspiring A7 'tourists'?

FRANCE

To enter a low emissions zone a "Crit'Air" sticker is mandatory (and for general circulation highly advisable). These can be bought in advance from outside of France (n.b. though I think an A7 does not meet eligibility criteria to get one).

Paris:  (Within Boulevard Peripherique). Currently a minimum of Euro2 CA5; but ramping up requirement year by year. In 2022 Euro4 will be minimum. "Vehicles that have collectible marked on their registration" are at present exempt (and presumably can enter sans sticker).

Greater Paris: Within A86 autoroute. Currently Crit'air 5 minimum but increasing. Exemptions: tbc

Grenoble: Affects commercial vehicles only.

Lyon: Affects commercial vehicles only.

Strasbourg: Affects Strasbourg AND its motorway network. From Jan 2021 a CA sticker required. Escalating requirement; from Jan 2022 CA4 is minimum level.

Variable zones covering entire regions may stop traffic in different categories at short notice according to prevailing conditions:-

Annecy: "Vehicles that have collectible marked on their registration" are at present exempt.
Chambery: No exemption.
Grenoble: "Vehicles that have collectible marked on their registration" are at present exempt.
Lille: No exemption
Lyon - Villeurbane: Only affects vehicles >3.5 tonnes
Paris: Foreign registered vehicles not affected.
Rennes: (Within Rennes ring road)
Strasbourg: tbc
Toulouse: (Metropolitan area). No exemption.

BELGIUM

You do not need stickers for the Belgian Low Emission Zones; but foreign vehicles need to register (valid for all Flemish LEZ's), which they can do free.

Antwerp:         You must register first.
                        A day pass for 35€ can be bought, up to 8 times a year, by:
                                    - diesel vehicles with Euro 3 standard and less
                                    - petrol vehicles with Euro 1 standard and less
                        There is a reduced tariff for vehicles older than 40 years

Brussels:        You must register first.
                       You can then buy a day permit to enter the zone (35 euros/day; max 8 permits/year)
                       Historic vehicles registered in Belgium are exempt.
                       Historic vehicles registered outside Belgium can request an exemption.

The 'winter emergency scheme' can impose restrictions ranging from advisories to a total ban on motor-driven transport according to prevailing conditions:

Ghent: You must register first. A day pass can be bought, up to 8 times a year.
Mechelen and Willebroek: From Jan 2021 earliest; likely to follow similar rules.

GERMANY

Transit bans affect lorries only.

Vintage cars are exempt in zones:
IF registered as historic vehicles in Germany (special plates)
OR equivalent status in another EU state
OR in country which has an agreement in place
OR registered in Turkey

Otherwise all 83 zones exclude levels below euro1 / green sticker.
(This now includes sections of the A40 autobahn at Essen and Gelsenkirchen)

A sticker must be displayed if entering a zone, validity is nationwide and it can be bought online from abroad.

THE NETHERLANDS

14 zones exist but none currently affect private cars. (Possible exception: Maastricht?)
No registration (sticker) is needed.

SPAIN

Barcelona:       Foreign vehicles to register before travel through the Barcelona zone; may be granted a 2-year DGT sticker if complying with euro 3 minimum.
                        The sticker is required Mon-Fri 07.00-20.00
                        Owners of non-compliant vehicles may apply for up to 10 daily permits to enter the zone.

Madrid:           Foreign vehicles need to meet the requirements, but do not need the sticker ('Distintivo Ambiental')
                        The sticker cannot be bought outside Spain.
                        Access for vehicles not meeting requirements is only for residents of Madrid zone or disabled persons; and then only to end 2024.
                        Preferential parking schemes operate, you may only be able to use certain spaces or tariff may be increased according to vehicle type. Foreign vehicles pay the base rate.

Sevilla:            Has traffic circulation restrictions at times of alert.

Valencia:         Has traffic circulation and parking restrictions at times of alert; entry permitted with a 'zero' or 'eco' sticker available from post offices (for qualifying vehicles).

Valladolid:      Has traffic circulation and parking restrictions at times of alert; entry permitted with a 'zero' or 'eco' sticker available from post offices (for qualifying vehicles).

DENMARK

Only current restrictions are for lorries.

NORWAY

Recommended to register your vehicle in advance with EPC (otherwise you may be billed for highest rates by default).
(n.b. EPC also administer the Norwegian road toll system & will find you one way or another, so it's best to sign up anyway).
No sticker/ pass is required.

Bergen:            Combined congestion and emissions charge, for foreign vehicles this is administered through EPC. At times of high pollution the tolls may be increased 5-fold; or an odd-and-even number plate scheme may operate.

Oslo:                Combined congestion and emissions charge, for foreign vehicles this is administered through EPC. Parking in the city may be restricted at times of high pollution.

Sorry that seems to be the biggest font size available...
It's enough trouble planning a holiday as it is, and as these regulations are so obviously deliberately complicated, just don't bother going there. A lack of visitors in vintage cars is unlikely to collapse the local tourist economy, but perhaps the wider use of these powers will see some effect when they drive away people in older modern cars.
I'm afraid touring abroad in my A7 is my raison d'être Tony, not really an option.
When you edit there is a row above the panel with various symbols- the A with a vertical red double ended arrow allows you to select font size-

A A etcetera.
Thanks Tony, but I already did that.
CTRL + and CTRL - also alter font size.
Jim
Chris,

Scotland is introducing several of it's designated LEZs this year. Many of us up here lobbied Parliament to consider an exemption for vehicles over 30 years old. This was successful, in so far as the issue of exemptions for Historic Vehicles has been discussed in the Parliament, and now the Scottish Government has launched a consultation to gather peoples’ views about the scheme, including the very specific issue of exemptions for Historic Vehicles.

I have a feeling that many of the cities across Europe, with LEZ equivalents, also have an exemption in place for historic vehicles.
Fixed whatever you did !  Big Grin
That's really positive news about Scotland Ruairidh, let's hope the consultation gets the right result.
(26-02-2020, 10:47 PM)Chris KC Wrote: I'm afraid touring abroad in my A7 is my raison d'être Tony, not really an option.
Just avoid the tourist-trap towns - unless desperate to see them. Or use the now ubiquitous and often-free park-and-ride schemes.