The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any clues about this car?
Does anybody have any idea where this photograph could have been taken? Number plate should be a clue.

Attached Files
.pdf   Marge driving her car near the Palace.pdf (Size: 305.02 KB / Downloads: 345)
Dunno about the number but is that a gum tree? And the creek liable to rise looks very Australian. Place could be name of a rural homestead.
Thanks, Bob.

I wondered if it might be in Australia for the same reasons. Is the number plate not Australian, then?

John
The registration plate appears to have the letters V I C, so presumably Victoria?
It's funny how rarely one observes tread on tyres in period photos!
The photo seems markedly tilted. The background a puzzle;not beehives, kangaroos, koalas or rabbits or Witchetys tribe encampment. Maybe stumps from a bush fire; perhaps called the Palace.
Dunno about the UK but tread pattern was not a legal requirement here prior about 1963. (Although it was illegal, saw the occasional car with circles of canves showing as often depicted in comic books). Spoilt by steel radials, we tend to forget how short lived crossply tyrese were, and natural rubber ones esp so. Into the 70s, 20,000  sedately driven common for conventional cars. In the 1920s much less.
Apart from Bob's ramblings, the car is an Austin 7 Ace, less the two spare wheels and front sweeping (heavy) wings.  The fairing contained tools, and one opened the top to turn the crankhandle.  Many made here in Victoria & the Regn plate is indeed Victorian.  Will look to see if I have it recorded when I get home.  My guess (knowing Oz sense of humour) would be the "Palace" would be a nicknmae for their homestead.   Cheers,  Bill in Oz
Another one from Australia......
My friend Doug Aitken with his first car, photo taken 1958. 
He called it a Meteor?

.jpg   CU Doug Ezzie 2.jpg (Size: 380.41 KB / Downloads: 483)
(26-02-2020, 12:10 AM)Bill Sheehan Wrote: Apart from Bob's ramblings, the car is an Austin 7 Ace, less the two spare wheels and front sweeping (heavy) wings.  The fairing contained tools, and one opened the top to turn the crankhandle.  Many made here in Victoria & the Regn plate is indeed Victorian.  Will look to see if I have it recorded when I get home.  My guess (knowing Oz sense of humour) would be the "Palace" would be a nicknmae for their homestead.   Cheers,  Bill in Oz

Thanks, Bill, what a mine of information. And fascinating, too. Be interesting to see if the car is in your records.

The forum does it again!

Thanks again

John
John, Thanks for your thoughts, but no go with thr registration number I'm afraid.  I do know that cars around that number were registered in May and June 1928.  On the subject of Oz cars, there was a photo put up on the Forum a few week's back of an original Seven Utility (Pick up to you).  I took a guess as to where the shot was taken, but now find I was mistaken.  I will put up the answer when I find the original submissiion - no luck so far with my search for the item.
Henry - great shot of possibly a sports Seven.  Interesting that it has the early rad. shell but the (later)  larger headlamps.   Has a New South Wales regn. plate.  My guess is it was an early body by Green in Sydney because of the the apron extending below the rad shell (standard on many of their very early efforts) and they only made sports bodies.  The Chummy-looking wings would be a surprise on their bodies, but maybe so.  Cheers,  Bill in Oz.