The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby Door Handle
Getting the car out the garage last year, I caught the passenger door handle on the wall and bent the square shaft. When I tried to straighten the bar, I succeeded in snapping the handle.......

Does anyone know how the bar comes out from the handle so that I have another go at straightening it? I am thinking of drilling a hole lengthways in each piece of the handle and using a rod and JB Weld to mend it.

Alternatively, does anyone have a spare which they are happy to sell? I have a couple of mis-matched window handles if anyone is interested.

Jamie.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Cherished suppliers keep the handles
Nigel: Thank you for the suggestion. If I have no joy repairing it, I shall look to buy new.

Any suggestions on how the square bar comes out from the handle, anyone?

Jamie.
I expect the steel shaft is included in the alloy during casting manufacture and not removable.
(17-02-2020, 12:46 AM)squeak Wrote: I expect the steel shaft is included in the alloy during casting manufacture and not removable.

That is a shame, but makes sense. Thank you.

I shall look out for a second-hand one to match the "distressed" driver's side handle. Failing that I shall buy a pair of new handles.

Regards,

Jamie.
Buy a new one - it won't take long before it is corroded and pitted, mine are in a right state and are less than 5 years old..., actually, one is about 3 years old as I changed the passenger door handle to a locking driver's handle & re-keyed the lock to suit.

Disappointing, like so much chromed new stuff, it is rubbish to what it used to be.
Jamie
Not sure if you are looking for originality with your handle but if you get stuck, I have a pair of locking handles with keys that were recovered from some 60 odd year old cabinets and are in excellent condition.
They are not exactly the same shape as original Ruby ones but I would doubt if most people could tell the difference.
Let me know if you are interested and I will dig them out and send you a photo.
Kind regards
Joe.

Jamie
Have sent you a PM.
Kind regards
Joe

Jamie
Have sent you a PM.
Kind regards
Joe
Jamie, you could cut through the square shaft so the washer/spring/escutcheon come off. Then cut the square shaft flush with the back of the handle. Carefully centre punch and drill out the shaft into the handle. Remove the remaining bits of square shaft with a tiny chisel or scrap screwdriver. Fashion a new shaft so it is a close fit inside the handle. Drill a cross-hole for a pin through the handle and shaft. When its all a good fit, reassemble with araldite on the square shaft and the cross pin. Leave 24 hours to harden and reassemble onto the car.
You could repair the broken bit of handle in a similar way.

A new handle would be easier!
Thank you for all of the replies and suggestions.

Joe: I have sent you a PM reply.

Regards,

Jamie.