The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Differential stuck in axle housing
Hi

I had this problem when I took the axle of my first special apart.  It had been languishing in some woodland for 40 years.  Surprisingly the internals were in good nick and were reused.  Anyway, sounds brutal but I upturned the axle in a workmate so that just the rim of the casing was supported. Screwed on a hub nut to protect the thread of the half shaft and struck it with a very large hammer (a sledge hammer in my case). You do run the risk of mangling the diff carrier bearing and possibly distorting the carrier itself but I didn’t see any other option at the time.

Oh and plenty of heat around the casing where the bearing is seated.

Chris’s idea of using the crown wheel bolts won’t work as they are fastened from the other side and can’t be removed until the diff carrier is out.

Regarding Loctite it really depends on which variation you use.  A light bearing retaining Loctite is designed to hold loose bearing races and should come apart with not too much heat.  Agreed a high strength nut securing compound would lock the bearing in forever.  Sometimes the alternative option of remetalling and turning out a bearing housing is not financially viable.

Cheers

Howard

Messages In This Thread
RE: Differential stuck in axle housing - by Howard Wright - 09-02-2020, 09:28 AM