The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Differential stuck in axle housing
I am trying to remove an axle from a spare rear axle housing but I can’t get the diff out.  I’m assuming the bearing is stuck in the housing.  Any suggestions on how to remove it without breaking anything?

Pics - it is a late ruby diff.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

This was covered extensively not long ago if anyone can provide the reference. Should be just a moderate press fit but may have been Loctited..... Brute force may move or separate the race but cruel on such an expensive item. Presumably have moved as far as poss with the adjuster ring. Heating the case and moderate bumping on either axle in the appropriate direction should suffice.
Found reference. August 2017, Ruby Half Shafts. Depending on what is intended and why, there is an argument for not altering the remaining adjuster as it determines the mesh as is.
Of course it may just be stuck but this underlines a point I am wont to make which is that Loctite is the devil's work and should only be used with careful forethought. If it is Loctited you'll possibly need to get the thing up to a couple of hundred degrees and this can easily render useless the parts one is trying to get at.

Anyway it is time to lay down that hammer and think. It occurs to me that possibly some sort of puller might be fashioned which made use of the crown wheel mounting bolts?
Hi

I had this problem when I took the axle of my first special apart.  It had been languishing in some woodland for 40 years.  Surprisingly the internals were in good nick and were reused.  Anyway, sounds brutal but I upturned the axle in a workmate so that just the rim of the casing was supported. Screwed on a hub nut to protect the thread of the half shaft and struck it with a very large hammer (a sledge hammer in my case). You do run the risk of mangling the diff carrier bearing and possibly distorting the carrier itself but I didn’t see any other option at the time.

Oh and plenty of heat around the casing where the bearing is seated.

Chris’s idea of using the crown wheel bolts won’t work as they are fastened from the other side and can’t be removed until the diff carrier is out.

Regarding Loctite it really depends on which variation you use.  A light bearing retaining Loctite is designed to hold loose bearing races and should come apart with not too much heat.  Agreed a high strength nut securing compound would lock the bearing in forever.  Sometimes the alternative option of remetalling and turning out a bearing housing is not financially viable.

Cheers

Howard
Using the axle and nut with a suitable weight as a slide hammer,  comes to mind.
Hi 

With hindsight and a bit more thought.  Can you rig up a “pusher” using a plate under the hub retaining nut? Might be more gentle that a sled on the nut!

Cheers

Howard
Thanks all, this one has been languishing for over 50 years so most likely won’t have loctite.

I did start heating the carrier but probably not enough. I might try heating it more and putting my press on it’s side, (it is not tall enough standing up) and ‘gently’ push on the axle shaft.

Cheers

Geoff
I would first try bumping the end of the enclosed axle onto a block of wood on the concrete floor.
I have had success in using the side adjuster, combined with heat, a number of times in such a situation.
Ah yes you're right Howard, I thought that one up before morning coffee!