The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil Button
When did the Oil Button appear as my late '27 Chummy does not have one unless it went where the dash lamp is situated or the hole was welded up in an earlier resto.  Photo attached.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Cheers

Mark
As far as I know, all cars except the very earliest were fitted with an oil button up until May (?) 1930 when it was replaced by a gauge.

The button had a "screw-down" flange until 1929, which was replaced by a flange with two fixing bolts
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
Your patents plate looks too big to me and I think may be covering the hole where the oil button would go.
Jim
Jim,

I felt up the back and could not feel anything, I'll stop being lazy and  take the plate off.
Cheers

Mark
This is a saloon, but you get the idea:

I re ckon your Patents Plate should be set lower, with the bottom edge nearly touching the dashboard moulding.
(05-02-2020, 12:21 PM)Mark McKibbin Wrote: When did the Oil Button appear as my late '27 Chummy does not have one unless it went where the dash lamp is situated or the hole was welded up in an earlier resto.  Photo attached.

Mark,

The dashboard has a Lucas SM5 switchboard for a coil engine - should have a Lucas SM3 switchboard for a magneto engine.

It looks to have the 1929 on large patent plate, as noted mounted too high, instead of the small patent plate normally fitted in 1927
Yes the car has a coil engine so the switch assembly is that type, attached is a picture with plate removed. There is no sign of a repair so either it never had one (unlikely) or the car has been fitted with a reproduction dash when it was restored in the '80's.  Does anyone have a photo of the correct button for 1927 as I will fit one for appearances and get a shorter patent plate.
Cheers

Mark
Can't help with a photo, but the early and late working parts of the button are interchangeable - the fixing ring (early) and the two-hole flange (late) just screw onto to the body.
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
Here's a photo I have just scraped from t'internet from a 1929 car..

hth..

Ha Ha! That looks like my old car, last seen in the mid-1970s! I recognise the crackle-finish dashboard.