The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poor brakes with no feeling
HI 

I have an Austin seven single seat special with hydraulic btakes ( Morris Minor). Using silicon brake fluid. The brakes have no real feeling and very poor efficency. I would describe the feeling as wooden.

Tried all the usual things like bleeding etc but still feel the same. Does anyone have any ideas?

Best Wishes

Shane
I do but you probably won't like it!
Black Art Enthusiast
Cables forever ?
How old are the shoes? I believe they harden with age - that's if they are not soaked in oil !

Years ago we has a very old Metro (admittedly with disc brakes) the brakes of which were terrible. The pads were hardly worn. Changed the pads and it was a different story.
I wouldn't convert my 2CV to cable brakes, neither would I convert my Seven to hydraulic. However they are operated, I wholly agree that aged shoes can be a significant problem. New soft linings offer an immediate solution.
You're doing quite well if you have a 'hard' pedal, one of the oft-quoted downsides of silicone (n.b. with an 'e') fluid is spongey feeling due to accidental aeration.

p.s. unless your brake lines really are filled with silicon; that would explain all....
Seized wheel cylinders?
Jim
Are you sure the front shoes are leading, not trailing?
Further to Jim's comment above, silicone fluid differs from conventional ethylene glycol based fluids in that it is not hygroscopic. At first sight this might appear to be an advantage, however if any water does get into the system, rather than being 'absorbed' into the fluid where corrosion inhibitors can do their stuff, it forms separate globules in the brake lines which may cause localised corrosion spots (not to mention vapour locks, should you succeed in generating enough heat). Either way inspection of your wheel cylinder pistons sounds like a good idea.
(03-02-2020, 10:02 AM)AustinWood Wrote: Seized wheel cylinders?

I would second that. They often stick if the car has not been used for a little time.