The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camshaft front bearing material
I am wanting to produce a new front camshaft bearing for my two bearing splash fed engine. Am I correct in thinking I should be using SAE 660 (C93200) bronze?
I am keen to test my lathe skills, but am prompted to do so as there don't seem to be any available from the usual sources?
I wouldn't call myself an expert Colin but I should have thought SAE660 would be well suited to that application.
I've just used a piece to repair the 2nd/3rd gear bush in my gearbox - only time will tell if that was a good choice I'm afraid!

I don't know if you already have the material to hand, but 'Metals4U' sell it in relatively affordable job-sized pieces (as opposed to by the metre), also in tubular form so there is less waste.
Having remachined a few camshaft bushes (usually to set the endfloat or turn the bush round in the crankcase) I don't think the original bush is a particularly fancy spec. But SAE 660 should be fine, might be cheaper (and even easier to machine) Colphos 90 for a new bush.