The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Travels in South Africa
In our travels in South Africa we have often seen a huge pile of old metal under a passenger aircraft as we head towards Cape Town airport. 

This year we passed the site but not on our way home so decided to detour and see if we could track it down. A few false turns later and we found it, and it was well worth finding.

Under the wing of the aircraft were a lot of very rusty bits of cars, many American, many completely unrecognisable:

.jpg   rusty 2.jpg (Size: 316.76 KB / Downloads: 332)

.jpg   rusty 1.jpg (Size: 364.51 KB / Downloads: 334)

Hidden away was a Starsky and Hutch lookalike:

.jpg   rusty 3.jpg (Size: 290.57 KB / Downloads: 333)

And then amongst a Moggy, a Capri, an Anglia, a Rolls Royce, Jag and some sort of jet car, awaiting recommissioning was a lovely RN:

.jpg   rusty 4.jpg (Size: 318.98 KB / Downloads: 333)
it was dark but they let me open the bonnet to see the engine. I tried to get numbers but couldn't see and pointing the camera in hope didn't work. But the engine did appear 'well' if dusty and the mechanic assured me that it was ready to go.

.jpg   rusty 5.jpg (Size: 340.24 KB / Downloads: 334)

Heading off now. hopefully to meet up with Greig in PE.

Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Well done Andy.

Love the cars, and the signs.

But you missed the most interesting thing of all.

The aircraft hanger, who wouldn't want all that space to spread there toys about in.

Enjoy your holiday.

Tony.
I was in Cape town two years ago, and i also visited this place, the Austin hasnt moved far since!

If you have the time, another place worth a visit is the Franschhoek Motor Museum, its part of a wine farm some really nice cars going back to the dawn of motoring.

In the town of Ceres, i managed to find two other Austin Sevens, one being a Boat Tail Tourer
Thanks Tony, I did think of you with the signs. Their collection didn't touch yours but their car collection was truly amazing.

John: I visited the Franschoek museum a few years ago and yes it is truly impressive, with race cars back to Bugattis, and a race track to run them. Owned by the Rupert family if I recall and with only room to show about 100 of the 200+ collection at any one time, including a 1926 Austin 7. Who says there isn't money in wine.

Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Interesting RN there. Export 4 blade fan, looks like it had a re-wire and probably needs another, no advance / retard control to the distributer, and those spark plug suppressors!
Glad you're safely in South Africa Andy

Looking forward to meeting up with you in Port Elizabeth

Aye
Greig