The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dynamator
Having run my RN with a 6 volt Dynamator for some time now it seems to have settled down.
My only concern is that the ammeter shows a consistent 7/8 amps once the initial surge has settled down. This hardly changes with all lights on.
It seems to me to be a bit on the high side, The 6v battery shows no sign of any problems and the voltage at the terminals whilst running is around 7.5 volts, any comments from members?

As an aside the thermostat mod seems to be working very well and showing consistent temperatures under all conditions, I don't think I'll have a problem in the summer with any overheating.
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
It took mine an age to settle down to a small charge. I worried a bit, like you, but in the end decided that my worries were based in the old way of thinking that I was about to melt the dynamo - which wont happen with the dynamator. The charge rate not changing when you turn the lights on is the expected behaviour - the dynamator just increases its output to match the current draw. Again, not anything to be worried about.

All my own opinion of course!
The running voltage for cars in general was usually recommended at 14.2/2 for traditional batteries and 14.6/2 for many low or no maintenance. Unfortunately  in general only digital meters are sufficently accurate and with Sevens esp seem to be driven haywire by ignition interference, altho may be ok in the cabin.  the setting voltages for old electromechanical regs were vey different but these included various compensations and adjusted as instructed usually gave on charge figures on a charged battery as above). Moderns with computers are a puzzle.