The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1937 Ruby
Hi everyone. 
I've just bought my first Austin. I confess to knowing nothing about them but I'm willing to learn.
Having only driven modern cars for the last 15 years or so I have nothing to compare my Austin to but is the steering supposed to be really heavy? Also I seem to have almost a quarter turn at the wheel before anything happens at the front. Again is this normal? Also any advice on the engine. It seems to have a flat spot on acceleration once the engine is warmed up.
Thanks in advance. 
Carl
Hello Carl & welcome.

Let's worry about the steering first...
Heavy? Well if you are static in the garage it quite probably will be as there is no power assistance.
On the road it should not feel heavy at all, if it does my first port of call would be greasing the king pins; & jack the front axle off the ground to make sure they turn freely (but are not loose).
It would be a good idea to grease / oil the steering box too, and the various steering links.

A bit (lot) of free play in the steering is fairly normal, but if in the slightest doubt it would be a good idea to show it to an established A7 owner and get a second opinion.

I'd thoroughly recommend making contact with your local Austin Seven club, there is almost certainly one not far away.
It would appear Carl is Manchester based. From the map of Club meetings at http://a7ca.org/member-clubs/club-meetings-map/ there seem to be 2 possibilities, Pre War Austin Seven Club North West, Last Monday. The Brown Cow, Winton, Eccles, Manchester and 750 Motor Club Cheshire/NW Pre War Austin Seven Club / RN Register, 1st Tuesday. Morley Green Social Club, Morley Green, Cheshire. I would get yourself down to one of those, Carl and you will get all the first hand advice you need. The steering does sound a problem (a quarter turn of play at the steering wheel is really far too much). I'm sure that you will find people who would be prepared to come and cast an eye over the car. I don't think you should drive it until the play in the steering has been improved..

hth...
A 37 Ruby has what is called hour-glass steering, and it should be possible to adjust the steering box so that there is very little play. I agree with the earlier comment that it should be sorted. Heavy steering in Rubies is often down to slightly oversize tyres: correct size is 4.00-17, but 4.50-17 has often been fitted and does give heavy steering. Also make sure the tyres are properly inflated, 22 -24 psi on the front wheels, 2 pounds higher on the back. Find a local contact, preferably with experience on a similar car, and he should be able to point you in the right direction.
Robert Leigh
The Pre-War Austin Seven Club North West Group now meet at the "John Gilbert", just off the M60 at Jn 13, last Monday of the month.  The address is Worsley Brow, Worsley, Manchester M28 2YA.

The next meeting is tonight (Monday 27th January) - 7.30pm for 8pm.
Thanks for the info chaps.
I'll get on over to the meeting and see what advice they can offer.
In its day it was a well established convention not to tug and haul on car steering when staitionary. The convention is now seldom heard of and with power steering regularly ignored. But  with the lightweight construction of the Seven inherited from early models it is important. 
For a very long period of time my 1936 Ruby had relatively heavy steering compared to any of my other Sevens. Tyre pressures were usually at around 25lbs and there was no stiffness in the steering when the car was up on axle stands. I eventually found that a change to newer tyres made a significant difference for the better. 

Definitely good advice to join an A7 club. Happy Sevening.
As a driving instructor I would teach never to dry steer. However the issue I have is that I was trying to negotiate a turn onto my driveway and was surprised at how hard it was to turn. 
Regards, 
Carl.
(27-01-2020, 11:31 AM)Colin Morgan Wrote: The Pre-War Austin Seven Club North West Group now meet at the "John Gilbert", just off the M60 at Jn 13, last Monday of the month.  The address is Worsley Brow, Worsley, Manchester M28 2YA.

The next meeting is tonight (Monday 27th January) - 7.30pm for 8pm.

Colin - perhaps you or someone else from the group could request the A7CA webmaster ~(webmaster@a7ca.org) to update the contact details?

cheers...

Hugh