The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bacon slicer mounting bolts
Can anyone advise what dimensions of the bacon slicer mounting bolts are?
I have three slicers and one magneto engine block but no matching bolts in the parts I have acquired.

They look to be 3/8 BSW, but I have two concerns:
1. If they are too long they will foul the flywheel, so getting the lengths right is essential 
2. A 3/8 BSW bolt when manually threaded into the block feels a bit too loose for my comfort and I’m worried that the thread is worn to the point that there maybe not enough strength left for a good firm fit

- Andrew

The holes in the starter are 5/16" My crankcase was oversize at 3/8 and well worn so I made some inserts 7/16 BSF outside, 5/16 BSF internal, put them in the crankcase with loctite and ground off the excess in the flywheel housing with an angle grinder.
It would be a shame to drill out the holes in the starter,
The other(untapped) hole on the nearside is for a locating dowel I think. Someone on here will correct me!
You are correct Dave. I don't have one but I have considered putting a roll pin in there one day.
I had a very skilled friend Tig the holes up and I retapped.
We did it without removing the flywheel - it can be done!
I used 5/16 BSF helicoils. Originally BSW I think. It's usually BSW into aluminium, BSF into steel.
Jim
At that time most or all of the holes in the crankcase were BSF I thnk, except for the sump fixings. It is common to find oversize holes for the starter bolts, because although Austin used 5/16" BSF they proved not to be strong enough in aluminium. An oversize steel insert really is the best solution, and 5/16" BSF in steel will prove strong enough. Another problem is that the corner of the flywheel housing can crack from the bolt holes, and solving that requires a good TIG welder and some luck.
Robert Leigh
Bacon slicer holes were certainly 5/16" BSF originally; I'm not sure about the later rear facing starter (29 - 32). Early mag crankcases also used BSF for the sump bolts, this was changed sometime in 1927, not sure when.

The little locating dowel is essential as it takes the thrust from the starter. Without it, the starter will stand an increased risk of becoming loose. You could fashion one from a piece of steel rod and an electric drill + file if you don't have access to a lathe.