The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP WITH PEDALS PLEASE
Finally finishing recommissioning a Seven (1927) I purchased a little over 12 months ago, however there's one job that has me stumped.
The pedal arrangement just doesn't work for me (see photos).
I've tried to compare with other Sevens I've seen but my set up is nothing like them.
Firstly the throttle pedal is attached with a piece of crude bracketry which often causes the throttle to stick, it's also set to high and to close to the driver making an  awkward driving position.
To compound thinks the brake pedal position which is also 4 inches closer to the driver compared to the clutch and invades space that the throttle pedal should use.
On the plus side the clutch pedal is great!
Any suggestions welcome.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I think you need a major re-think on that brake pedal.
Without seeing the other side of the bulkhead it's difficult to make recommendations. However,
can you shorten the rod part of the brake pedal to bring it to a level with the clutch?
The throttle nay be more tricky but I'd try to have a pivot on the inner face of the bulkhead with a pendulum type of lower part pushed by a curved pedal shaft through the lower bulkhead panel if that makes sense.
You really need the gas and brake pedals at similar levels if you want to do slick heel-and-toe double de-clutch gear changes.
I'll have a look through my pics and post one if I can find a suggestion.
It isn't easy to tell from a couple of pics - one directly in line with the brake pedal would be helpful, and the arrangements on the engine side of the bulkhead need to be seen as well.

The brake pedal should be as close as possible to the steering column to allow room for the accelerator to  fit between the brake and the side of the car.

On my car it is below the brake pedal a bit and forward of it a bit.   To create a bit more room for my shoe, the brake pedal has about a third of its diameter removed from the right hand side.

The brake pedal moves quite a lot, I don't think shortening it will be practical, but it needs to be more or less in line with the clutch as a starting position.

You are restricted in your side to side available space - which isn't unusual in a special - but also fore and aft because the floor panel the pedals operate through is vertical.

It needs to slope forward to give the pedals more space to moveinto when pushed.
It's a very pretty car Paul but seems to have been built for someone with no feet. 
At first sight I'm not sure what you could do with that. A hand throttle perhaps?
Didn't we go through all this in depth some months ago Paul? Anyway I would set up a stop to prevent the brake pedal returning so far backwards, bend the brake pedal to bring it sideways closer to the centreline which will give you a little more room for the accelerator. You may find that replacing the brake pedal arm with a Ruby item allows you to alter its shape more easily. I would then completely remake the throttle assembly, but without seeing more it is impossible to say exactly how.
Black Art Enthusiast
Further pictures as requested.
I can confirm I do have feet, size 11 at that!
My initial thoughts are I need to shorten the brake pedal and move closer to steering column?
Can't believe that someone would build such a nice car and make a fundamental error?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Looking at your first photo, I think the body/bulkhead framework is going to need serious modification to allow the addition of a blister to accommodate the accelerator pedal.
I have only just room in a Type 65 I am 5ft 7 with size 7 feet.
It looks like major modifications will be needed for your car to work for you.
Is there any scope to move your seat backwards then extend the pedals to a wider part of the cockpit.
Carefull choice of shoes will help as well.
Hi Paul
On my standard RN saloon the difference between clutch and brake pedals are about the same as yours, I think you need that amount of movement for the brake pedal to function properly and my throttle pedal goes almost vertically through the floor, even on the standard setup the throttle pedal is tiny and with my size ten feet I have to choose my driving shoes carefully!
As it is now your setup would need someone with a body like Quasimodo to drive it comfortably!
My suggestion is to heat the brake arm and try to move it to the left a bit (assuming it's not a casting) and then if you gain sufficient space manufacture a floor hinged throttle pedal that connects to the existing inside the engine bay.
Having said all that, what a delightful little car you have and once sorted should give you lots of pleasure
Kind regards
Barry Townsend
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !