The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Restored A7 catalogue cover
Available as a download to print out at up to A3. Unfortunately, the original had not been scanned at high resolution but I've done my best with it: http://www.lathes.uk/life.jpg

Here's a low-resolution copy:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The theme is beyond me. Can someone explain it please? How do such an assortment, including mr Punch, and a statue, come to be stranded in a wood?
Being just up the road from Stratford, did Longbridge in fact issue a whole range of PR with Shakespearean themes? "Merry Wives of Windsor" in an Austin Seven? "Twelfth Night " perhaps, or "Tempest" in an Austin Ten? I think "Lear" in a Litchfield would have been most unlikely.
(23-01-2020, 06:20 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: The theme is beyond me. Can someone explain it please? How do such an assortment, including mr Punch, and a statue, come to be stranded in a wood?
The statue would appear to one of Shakespeare, so there's the link to the title 'As you Like it'. and presumably the motley collection of people represents the broad appeal of the Seven.
(23-01-2020, 06:20 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: The theme is beyond me. Can someone explain it please? How do such an assortment, including mr Punch, and a statue, come to be stranded in a wood?
Shakespeare was popular with the Longbridge publicity department and this booklet used the "Seven Ages of Man" loosely transformed into "Seven Days with a 7". You can download a PDF of the full edition from the A7CA web site - where many of the charming illustrations are in very reasonable condition. http://archive.a7ca.org/collections/show-brochures/  Publication 657 from 1928
clearly, mature, older and very old club members have drafted in the Army to issue conscription orders to draft "young people" into Austin 7 clubs. And expectant mums too; newborns, brought up on a diet of collet nuts and D140, will exhibit no signs of mutiny from the cause.
Coincidence that there are seven men (including the one in the background Chummy -or seven men in the group if the babe is a boy) in a picture that has an "As you like it" theme?  The "seven ages of man" is part of a monologue from that play IIRC.