The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel tank slosh sealant
A warning!
The result yesterday of removing useless fuel tank slosh sealant.

What type/make of sealant had you used please Henry?
And how long ago......
Just don’t tell me it’s Sureseal Products as five years in I am very happy
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
That silver stuff looks like the same stuff slowly bubbling up in my box saloon tank.
When I did my tank I chose 'TAPOX' sealant. There are some "ethanol resistant" products about but few that claim to be "ethanol proof". The recommended rust converter is 'FERNEX' and the two things come as a kit. I spent hours on the preparation and only when I was certain that there were no more rusty bits did I apply the sealant.

I got into trouble because I left the tank in the airing cupboard to fully cure. It smelt a bit!!!
It’s a mild steel tank from a recently concocted Model T racer imported from New Zealand.
The body parts, including the tank are less than 10 years old and are commercially produced and available online from Model T spares suppliers.
The sealant was not administered in this country so my guess is 5+ years. 

Ethanol laced fuel and mild steel are poor partners.
Nothing that I know of will adhere to rust.
The long term solution, apart from using ethanol free petrol, is probably a brass, stainless steel or plastic fuel tank.
having been plagued by rust in the tank of my Seven, I had my tank professionally cleaned and then sealed it with an ethanol proof sealant from Rustbusters. That was almost exactly 12 months and 5k miles ago. Had no problems since.
I have used this on about a dozen tanks Henry: https://www.frost.co.uk/por15-motorcycle...gLlX_D_BwE

Prep. and full process is time consuming but essential - the first tank I did was on my Pearl about 8 years ago and it is still giving service without issue.
The Austin tanks I have dealt with have been tin/lead coated steel, ‘Terne plate’ or something similar with soldered joins and unions and they seem to survive ethanol as long as the coating is not damaged.