The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SU Carb on a chummy manifold
Hi I have seen a photo of an SU attached to a chummy type inlet manifold e.g. the standard updraft inlet manifold with a right angle bend for a side draft SU to bolt on.  I am sure I spotted it after looking at a photo on the forum which then lead to the SU arrangement.  But I can’t find the photo.

Has anyone seen this photo or done this on their car?
Thanks
I believe the principle is to invert the standard updraft manifold, then with a small wedge ( or sold as an adapter) fit the SU. There is an SU inlet manifold Ive seen.
Steve thanks, it was in an updraft configuration as the fuel is gravity fed.  But the method you mention in interesting I suppose if there is space you could put a down draft SU on as well, both would need a fuel pump.
I believe the picture you refer to was a fabricated adaptor made, if i remember correctly, by Austin in the shed.
Black Art Enthusiast
This is what I am going to try.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bob thanks that’s a novel way of doing it, are you pumping the fuel?

Ian thanks, hope fully Austin if it is his photo will post it.
Hi Bob

This is my arrangement.  It is, as yet, untested.  It turned out more complicated than I thought as the float bowl needed moving to the opposite side and dropping by nearly 2 “ to get all the fuel levels and inclination right. I guess you are using the standard manifold in which case you’ve lots of room.

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files
.jpeg   1F5F7089-F261-4C47-9775-1185DEC27379.jpeg (Size: 90.93 KB / Downloads: 739)

.jpg   2020-01-13_07-35-13.jpg (Size: 52.65 KB / Downloads: 758) Or you could look for a period manifold to take an SU.
Sorry after several attempts to post photo I've given in,Can't remember how to reduce size .It is very similar to the one pictured by Bob.I didn't find the need to fit a fuel pump as there is enough drop between tank and carb.

A7 manifold
Levers are to operate choke from the original pull.

Attached Files
.jpg   Austin_7_19_feb_001__1578954093_10223.jpg (Size: 73.01 KB / Downloads: 667)
Hi Austin thanks for uploading the image, but not the one I was thinking of.  The one I saw used the standard chummy inlet manifold unaltered with a right angle bend and the su mounted so the air in take was facing towards the rear corner of the engine bay.