The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Modern Lip Seal for the 1 1/8” crank A7 Engine PART TWO
A Modern Lip Seal for the 1 1/8” crank A7 Engine
Part two
Machining the seal holder:  Aluminum was purchased in the form of a slice of six inch diameter rod. I scribed the outer diameter of the seal holder on it and cut off the excess on the band saw so I wouldn’t have to machine it all off (and also so the blank would fit in my lathe).

.jpg   5 ALUMINUM BLANK.jpg (Size: 34.02 KB / Downloads: 322)
Since the most important dimension was the one the seal pressed into this was machined first. The dimension for the hole was actually written on the seal which was 2.500” but the actual seal measured .005 larger than that as it is designed to compress and be a tight fit. I opted to make the hole about .002” larger so that I could press the seal in with my fingers rather than using a press or hammer as I didn’t want to distort the holder when installing the seal. The rest of the dimensions were standard turning procedures. The most difficult thing was holding the seal holder which required changing chuck jaws so things had to be checked with a dial test indicator to ensure concentricity. A groove was machined in the portion that locates into the bearing holder to take a small section O-Ring to seal the seal holder against oil seepage. A thin paper gasket could be used between the seal holder flange and the bearing holder but the O-Ring should render that redundant. The four bolt holes were drilled using the bearing holder to locate them by poking the same size drill as the bearing holder hole down each hole to drill through the seal holder flange.
Once installed my calculations show that there should be about 1/16” clearance between the flywheel and the retainer bolts etc.

.jpg   6A SEAL HOLDER COMPONENTS.JPG (Size: 35.64 KB / Downloads: 323)

.jpg   6B ASSEMBLED HOLDER BOTH SIDES.jpg (Size: 35.52 KB / Downloads: 322)

.jpg   6C DEPTH GAUGE .JPG (Size: 45.86 KB / Downloads: 322)

.jpg   6D HOLDER IN PLACE.JPG (Size: 39.25 KB / Downloads: 322)

.jpg   7 CLEARANCE.JPG (Size: 37.16 KB / Downloads: 322)
I’m hoping this will function as well as the other fly wheel seal
that is sold for the I 5/16” crank.

I have not yet drawn up a mechanical drawing but hope to soon for those wishing to make a seal holder for themselves.
Stephen
Excellent work - Herbert would be proud ! 

If successful it might need mass production  Smile
I thought that a unit could be purchased but what you've done is beautiful, congrats
Steve & Tate Davidson
Perpetual Amateur Austineers
I fitted a lip seal using parts supplied by David Cochrane of A7Components. However I don't think he any longer lists the plate for 1-1/8" crank.
Jim
Although the modern lip seal plate is shown as 1929-39, it can be fitted to the 1-1/8" engine by machining a recess in the back of the rear main bearing housing. Then use the BB7a lip seal.

David
David,
the reason I went to all this trouble is so that I didn't have to machine the back of the rear main bearing housing, but I appreciate what you are saying. Thanks for the information.

Stephen
The machining of the rear main housing needed is minimal.
Jim