The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rear axle inner hub Bearing Thread.
Hi All,  looking for a source of a button die for the thread on the rear axle inner hub bearing nut. I measure the thread as 1.250" diameter and 16 threads per inch. It appears to be one of Austin's famous custom thread forms. Any info such as thread angle would be appreciated if I end up going down the custom die path.
The thread angle will be 55°. If the thread is damaged, might a thread file clean it up?
Yes, it is likely to be a 55 degree thread like BSF. A thread file may clean up the lead of the thread. I have the tap and die for the axle nut threads as many do but never known of any one with a die nut for the hub bearing nut thread.
You could look out for a British Standard Conduit die (these were the standard before UK electricals went metric) all the 3/4" and up taps and dies were/are 55 degree threads @ 16 TPI including the 1 1/4" you're seeking; these 16 TPI threads turn up all over the place on A7s, so they're worth having in the toolbox. The taps and dies are usually marked 'BSCon' as well as the size. They do turn up at boot fairs and the like from time to time.
I've saved one of those successfully with a thread chaser before.
I have the correct die for this thread - if you send the side tube to me I will recut it for you. It has saved many an axle for me.
(01-01-2020, 12:51 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: The thread angle will be 55°. If the thread is damaged, might a thread file clean it up?

(01-01-2020, 01:36 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I have the correct die for this thread - if you send the side tube to me I will recut it for you.  It has saved many an axle for me.

Thanks for the offer but i am located "Down Under" Could you confirm the exact size and tpi stamped on this Die of yours?
If you can't find a secondhand 1 1/4" BSCon die, then what you need will likely be marked as a 1 1/4" x 16 Whitworth Form or (WF) die. These people sell them new. https://www.tracytools.com/taps-and-dies...ct_id=1174 they're going to be a bit spendy if you want the HSS version.
That’s exactly where I got mine Stuart - worth every penny.
(01-01-2020, 02:13 PM)Raleigh Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 12:51 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: The thread angle will be 55°. If the thread is damaged, might a thread file clean it up?

(01-01-2020, 01:36 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I have the correct die for this thread - if you send the side tube to me I will recut it for you.  It has saved many an axle for me.

Thanks for the offer but i am located "Down Under" Could you confirm the exact size and tpi stamped on this Die of yours?
Raleigh, if you are a member of the Melbourne club I think we have a suitable die for use by members .