The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheap Speedometer
Following on from the recent rev counter thread, but not wishing to hijack it:

(05-12-2019, 10:28 AM)spannerman Wrote: I'm using a speedo on a 2 seater special
And had no trouble in 4 years cable
Should be no problem as they are standard
British fittings?

I have been thinking about using a cheap Indian reproduction speedometer on my special; there are several which look suitable. The trouble is that I have no idea at all whether any would have a suitable ratio for a 17" wheel Ruby-based car. Does anyone else have any idea?

Jamie.
I’ve left the original in place and then fitted a cycle speedo from Halfords so that it flips down when required and is hidden when not. Big advantage that it is accurate and can be set to kilometres for when abroad.
Tip. Don’t get the wireless version as it needs to be within 70cm of the sender, hard wiring needs to be extended.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
I did something similar with my old motorbike. Unfortunately, I have no speedometer at all for the Austin.

Jamie.
Why not a Ruby speedo?   There are plenty of both types on Fleabay.
Mainly because I am thinking about printing a different dial to match the style I hope to make the car and it seems a shame to ruin a decent original speedometer. Also, the copies are cheaper if I mess it up. I can use a Ruby gauge if I cannot do a decent job of the modification.

Jamie
Jamie as mentioned on the Rev counter thread you can use a gearbox behind the instrument panel to change the ratio of the instrument you choose.
Black Art Enthusiast
Ian.

That is true.

Jamie
I have the original speedo,s on all 3 of my cars, plus a GPS speedo fitted in the glovebox, about £10 on eBay
You could use a rev counter and then add the speed on to the Rev counter.  I have seen ones with all the gears/speeds, but here is what I did with an MGB Rev counter with an old bezel and new face with just the speed in 4th.

"Ere, where do you put the red line then?