The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dynamator
Thanks to eveyone who replied to my previous thread, I'm having the usual timing gear problems but in the process of curing them. Another problem has arisen that I should have previously thought of - the ammeter goes off the scale when initially charging, is there an uprated ammeter that can be fitted to the original dash/switch arrangement. I particularly want to retain originality wherever possible. Typical progression with anything mechanical, solve one problem and create another !
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
You must be running on 6v? My RP has been 12v the last 30+ years and I get an initial 10 amp surge for a very short while after which it drops back to next to nothing. Personally I don't think I would worry about the initial surge too much providing the battery is in decent condition and not losing charge just standing.
That highlights something that needs to be guarded against. Can the old wiring that was designed for 8A charge handle the output current from the alternator?
Jim
It is worth bearing in mind that, once the battery is fully charged, the higher charging rate is only sustained for a very short period of time and then drops back to just a couple of amps or less for the rest of the journey. It is only raised to replace the drain on the battery during starting. I've done 2 or 3000 miles now on a Dynomater and can report no damage to the ammeter or anything else, come to that.. (touch wood and whistle..)
Good point, i took the opportunity to upgrade the wiring when I fitted the alternator
Hi and thanks to everyone who gave an opinion or advice on the Dynamotor. This website is just great.
Since I've installed the unit I'm still finding the drive a bit noisy despite using the original gear - any suggestions.
Also the charge rate never falls below about 9/10 amps at normal revs, that seems to be a bit on the high side to me. It shows around 15 amps after starting and the drops to the 9/10 amps.
The battery is a new one.
The ammeter hardly changes if I put the headlights fully on.
I'm a bit worried about boiling the battery if it's overcharging
Typical of messing with anything mechanical, solve one problem and create another!
Barry, I would be asking is your ammeter accurate?
Might be worth monitoring the voltage at the battery.
Jim
Good point - I’ll get onto it
I had a burnt out new 7 Workshop wiring loom.