The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
London to Brighton Veteran Car Run
A fatal accident on yesterday's run. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-surrey-50281989
1904 Knox - I recall seeing it off on Sunday and reading the lettering on the side - 'Old Porcupine'.
It looks like he probably missed the A23 turning and got swept onto the M23, and was then trying to cross three lanes of the motorway to avoid the M25 access. What a dreadful scenario.
Hi all,
 The gentleman concerned was Ron Carey of Calgary Alberta Canada. Ron was the owner of J and L Supply limited which refurbished Oil Rig Drilling cutters for drilling oil wells. He was also a avid collector of veteran vehicles, petrol pumps and other associated collectibles and  had a large number of them on display at Heritage Park's "Gasoline Alley where one of the cars on display is an Austin NIPPY as reported here some time back in the forum.

Further details of this tragedy can be read here : https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-new...-collision

Stephen
There were additional health and safety measures designed to control the public at Hyde Park this year but it looks as though more (or some) marshals are needed on route to avoid accidents such as this. I particularly noticed Old Porcupine because it was being driven with enthusiasm and whirled past us on sector 13 at 8am ready to run down to the start line. The official programme lists two Knox cars in sector 14 - number 361 (driver Michael Sierra) and number 363 (driver Nigel Fear). There may have been a late addition perhaps?
The Knox involved was entry 397.
Reading with dismay, it does seem very sad and unfortunate. I'm a little surprised that no arrests have been made, should one infer that it is deemed to have been entirely the fault of the veteran car driver?
I think far far too much is being 'inferred' all round. An accident has occurred, that doesn't mean anybody did anything for which they can be prosecuted.

Because of one tragic incident it may well not prove necessary to rethink the whole event and marshalling.

As someone on the event it was fantastically organised and signposted. No other car went off the route onto the M23 that I am aware of. The drivers briefing was very informative for those who chose to attend.

No event will ever be perfect, you cannot take into account every possible action of every individual. From what I know of it, I'd say a tragic accident. Perhaps change the colour of the signage (yellow can be confused with other yellow signs) add a couple of marshall and move forward.
Having just looked at the spot where he made his mistake on google earth It would be very easy to Marshall.

I have to say however the road signage doesn't help. Particularly to a foreigner. Brighton is signed via the M23. Redhill via A23 at the fatefull junction. The preceeding sign makes the driver guess where the road they are travelling goes. Signing only the M23 for Gatwick and Brighton.

I know why they do it (to keep the bulk of the traffic on the higher capacity roads), but it is annoying. When they built the M6 troll road the signs all changed to force you onto it as opposed to the A5. And once youve dropped the bollock at a roundabout 200yards later your in the M6 toll and 7quid poorer for it.
I don't know any more about this specific incident than is written above Adam. But I'm not a great subscriber to the idea of 'accidents' - most have identifiable causes such as someone driving too fast or paying insufficient attention. Drivers on motorways should be able to stop to avoid a collision just as anywhere else. I'd certainly agree the London-Brighton is a very well organised event, though doubtless they will be reviewing whether anything might be done better, as any sensible organisation would.