The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Checking cam gear timing marks (crank gears gear markings)
I've just been trying to clean down my long unused engine and found it very difficult finding useful information on checking cam and crank gear markings. Woodrow always difficult to interpret. Old forum posts had good snippets on some wrong timing marks on aftermarket gears, and this from Austin in the Shed:

Looking from the front of the engine

With the crank at Top dead centre,keyway is vertical. (i.e12 o'clock)
Camshaft gear key way should be at 45 degrees left of vertical. (i.e.10.30 on clock)
Austins timing marks were usually "0".
Double check on timing when crank on TDC inlet valve should start to open at this point.

To clarify for the newb (please correct if wrong), I add:

1. make sure you are moving the flywheel anticlockwise from the back of the engine to get its proper rotation

2. 1/4 TDC is going to give you two cylinder TDC positions - you need 1 TDC so check BOTH positions, and the imminent opening of no1 inlet, which is NO.2 VALVE. (this confusing when reading "no.1" while trying to look) So, more correctly, you are looking for the 1/4 TDC flywheel mark to indicate a vertical crank keyway* or commencement of opening no.2 valve.

3. crank is little one; cam is big one.

All that said, I finally found my marks! And I APPEAR to be one out. BUT the no.2 valve is opening and all my piston tops are correct. So what does one do now? I cannot see the crank keyway(*) but don't want to disassemble any more than necessary. Can I infer that because there are woodruff locators on both pinions/gears, the cam gear MUST be correct, and thus taking the crank gear/pinion off will enable me to check the key position and then move the cam round? Or do I need to remove the cam gear too because I can't 100% trust its markings?

Is that not the top of an 'O' mark on the crankshaft gear showing outside the tab washer? If you look at the positioning of the cam gear marks they are below the base of the teeth, and I think the crank gear may be the same. I do not remember anything other than 'O' marks on the gears. The 1 which looks to be in the wrong position may well be irrelevant. Was the engine in running order when you put it away? If so it can't have changed in storage! I hope my thought help rather than hinder.
Robert Leigh
The marks look exactly as they should be with the top of the 'o' on the crank gear visible under the washer. Every gear I've ever seen has 'o' marks, never seen one with a '1'.

Steve
Quick check, the inlet valve should commence opening at TDC (if it's a standard camshaft).
As Steve says there looks to be a 0 half under the lock tab.
Thanks both - Gary has just echoed what Steve has posted... so I'm glad this is here as others will fall into my trap, induced by the panic of the unknown (which of course disappears and makes one feel a fool afterwards for not looking harder). Gary also mentioned that the '1' mark on the tooth is probably an "oversize" mark.

I will confine my investigations here and move 12" to addressing the 3 bearing oil pipe replacement!
Think I would at least check the rear main for rust too.