The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Spitfire battery in Seven?!
Hi Nick,

I knew Bruce Lawless well, he was a lovely bloke and incredibly modest about his wartime exploits. He and his wife Maureen, were neighbours of my parents down at St.Osyth on the Essex coast. He saw my Austin 7 and as I also had an interest in aviation, we had much to talk about. The Seven which he and his mates had was a c. 1929 chummy, I have a photograph of it somewhere and I checked the reg. on the Chassis register, but it is not there. He told me about the tyres and I mentioned that on another thread on here entitled "Useless and free?".

Your book may mention that Bruce was quite good at shooting down flying bombs or, "Doodlebugs". It won't say that he was only credited with the ones which had damaged his aircraft as he had to make a report if this happened. If there was no personal damage, he was always keen to get to the pub, so didn't bother claiming them.
A year or two before his death, he was having some work done on the roof of his bungalow and the roofers went to the local for their lunch, where they learnt a bit about Bruce and the doodlebugs. When they had finished the job, chief roofer told Bruce that his old Mum and Dad had lived in London during the flying bomb period and that all the roofing work was free. I was told this by a third party, naturally.

Messages In This Thread
Spitfire battery in Seven?! - by Nick Salmon - 29-10-2019, 10:07 AM
RE: Spitfire battery in Seven?! - by JonE - 29-10-2019, 11:56 AM
RE: Spitfire battery in Seven?! - by Rick F - 29-10-2019, 01:39 PM
RE: Spitfire battery in Seven?! - by Lance Sheldrick - 29-10-2019, 02:18 PM
RE: Spitfire battery in Seven?! - by Nick Salmon - 29-10-2019, 02:32 PM
RE: Spitfire battery in Seven?! - by Andy Bennett - 29-10-2019, 08:53 PM