The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ulster Exhaust System
Is anyone making / selling Ulster 'silencers' and exhaust tailpipes out there at present? A quick review of the usual suspects hasn't yielded anything. Looking for the bog standard 'production' type, nothing fancy. Failing that if anyone can furnish a helpful diagram showing the correct dimensions, bend angles, radii etc. it might improve my chances of knocking one up at home. Thanks.
I think Stuart Palmer makes the tailpipe end piece.
You mean the fishtail? Already got that bit I'm afraid (thanks anyway).
It's just the tailpipe itself & expansion box I'm after.
(18-10-2017, 09:46 PM)Chris KC Wrote: You mean the fishtail? Already got that bit I'm afraid (thanks anyway).

I made my tail pipe out of a bit of 22mm copper pipe. Had a lovely 'rort' and easy to bend to shape but I *think* strictly illegal to use copper. For the life of me, I can't remember where I got the silencer from.. Sorry not to be of more help...
(18-10-2017, 09:46 PM)Chris KC Wrote: You mean the fishtail? Already got that bit I'm afraid (thanks anyway).

Chris,

I can recommend Dave Dye for the silencer box. I bought a "production" silencer from him and an upswept 3 branch manifold. They are both top quality imho.

No connection, just a happy customer.

Alan
Hello all.

I'm not ready yet for a system but will be for both the A7 engine and a Reliant engine.

I build my own 3 wheelers at www.aerocyclecars.com and currently get my V twin header pipes and side pipes from Pipe Craft in Lancing, all made from stainless steel.

I will probably approach them. I too could do with drawings or most likely will work from photos. I have a pair of Brooklands silencers which I will try out anyway.

If I get on well with Pipe Craft as I'm sure I will, I could make side pipes available.

I'd like to know where to get 3 branch long manifolds for both engines?

regards

Arthur
(19-10-2017, 08:38 AM)Hugh Barnes Wrote:

I made my tail pipe out of a bit of 22mm copper pipe. Had a lovely 'rort' and easy to bend to shape but I *think* strictly illegal to use copper. For the life of me, I can't remember where I got the silencer from.. Sorry not to be of more help...
Thanks Hugh. Copper had crossed my mind - 28mm would be close to original size and readily available, (if not massively strong). What makes you think it's illegal? I ran a copper 'bunch o' nanas' manifold for years...

(19-10-2017, 08:44 AM)Jack in the Box Wrote:

Chris,

I can recommend Dave Dye for the silencer box. I bought a "production" silencer from him and an upswept 3 branch manifold. They are both top quality imho.

Alan

Thanks Jack, I'll try him.
(19-10-2017, 10:45 AM)Chris KC Wrote:

Thanks Hugh. Copper had crossed my mind - 28mm would be close to original size and readily available, (if not massively strong). What makes you think it's illegal? I ran a copper 'bunch o' nanas' manifold for years...

Chris,

Alan

As Hugh's right hand man when we built his Ulster I must correct him: we used 28mm copper!
Robert Leigh

Chris,

Alan

As Hugh's right hand man when we built his Ulster I must correct him: we used 28mm copper!
Robert Leigh

Chris,

Alan

Do you have Dave's e-mail address Hugh? I have an old one but it's been bounced back.
If I recall correctly, copper is illegal to use as an exhaust because the condensate inside the system reacts with the copper to produce a toxic gas, not just the suffocating carbon monoxide. Because copper is a much better conductor than mild steel the inside of the exhaust is subsequently cooler (and the outside hotter) encouraging even more condensate.