The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Number plates
Thinking of replacing my number plates with a new set of correct vintage.(1927)
Can any one recommend a supplier and period style I should use.
Many thanks
Paul
Classic Transfers make some nice number plate stencils at reasonable prices. In 1927 they were probably painted freehand but that's harder than it sounds.
Originally fitted were pressed steel beaded edge rectangular plates. Those supplied new by Complete Automobilist (Ref NPA-ob - steel back plate - oblong) are almost indistinguishable. Paint the registration number on yourself, or get a local signwriter to do it, as was the norm back in 1927. Previous threads discuss lettering styles.
One way to do it is to spray paint the number plate area white. When the paint is dry and hard stick on self adhesive letters and numbers to make your registration plate. Then again spray the area again but this time in black. When dry carefully peel off the stick on letters and numbers to reveal a white on black number plate.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Hi Paul

The Cornwall A7 web site has several articles on number plates.  I used their method of chalk stencilling on the RK with excellent results.  I would also recommend a cream rather than white paint for the digits.  White tends to look too white!

Cheers

Howard
Many thanks to you all
The other option is to rivet on cast aluminium letters/numbers as was done by 'Hills' in period. The character set I think is available by Cooke Bros...

https://earlymgsociety.co.uk/docs/TheCookeGroup.pdf
Classic Transfers as well as stencils they also do self adhesive letters correctly spaced ready to stick on a black back ground they will also space them out for a square number plate to go on the back of an ulster.  Quick and easy to use with a period font.
Quite a lot of 20s cars had cast Aluminium number plates. Obviously the foundries must have had a "slot together" pattern set to make all the different plates quickly in period. But making a "bespoke" wooden pattern at home  isn't too difficult. I made this one for one of my cars from 4mm plywood.
[Image: 48957618056_3fd3fdc0b1_z.jpg]
Any local foundry that does Aluminium castings should be able to cast them for you.
Here is the original legislation from 1903. It did not fundamentally change until they made the letters smaller when the A suffix came in.

[Image: picture.php?albumid=217&pictureid=51689]

It has to be said that the Police did not generally get silly about style etc until modern times. But study of old photographs will show you that generally serifs were not used (they are technically illegal) which appear to have become popular in modern times on historic motors. Its a bit like the red neckerchief and bowler hat on canals and steam engine.....