The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DS4 Distributor caps
Well - something I didn't find an answer for!!

I've  two CAV/Lucas DS4 Austin 7 distributors (Yes, the coilsprung points and external condenser type), the working one in our RF saloon) has a black replacement cap (think originals are brown) which isn't identified with any markings

I'd like to find a similar cap (or a good original) for the other distributor and have been told that one from a SIMCA 1100 or RENAULT DAUPHINE may fit.   ==. Anyone know if this is true and can tell exactly what I should be seeking? From what years or models /part numbers etc?

Ian
This is the one you need: https://www.smallfordspares.co.uk/produc...-cap-32-35
The Ford Y7C Club list a distributor cap no date listed,but to members only. sorry not a lot of help.
Ta muchly, young wiz ,will check it out. will the original type sprung rotor fit?

Ian
Unfortunately-

"This item is not currently available for ordering. Please contact us for details of when it may be back in stock"
Here's a couple of NOS Remax ES200 equivalent for the 1932 to 1935 Ford Y 8hp on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Remax-ES200-d...SwiD5dRXSW

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-8hp-Eigh...SwX8tdHL~M
Hi Ian

You will find that a Vauxhall Viva Van rotor will fit with a bit of filing.  Delco 1975-82-/390349760840 is (I Think) the number.

The Ford part number for the cap is YE-12116-A. (32-35)

Hope that helps

Cheers

Howard

PS if you find a supplier for the points and the condenser please let me know ?.
(16-10-2019, 05:12 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi Ian

You will find that a Vauxhall Viva Van rotor will fit with a bit of filing.  Delco 1975-82-/390349760840 is (I Think) the number.

The Ford part number for the cap is YE-12116-A. (32-35)

Hope that helps

Cheers

Howard

PS if you find a supplier for the points and the condenser please let me know ?.

I think the original type points are only available as NOS if you are luckly enough to find some.

This summer I fitted points from a Bosch 009 distributor (8 quid on ebay), which I am very pleased with. I used a spare base plate which i rotated by about 30°, cut off the tab for the heal of the original points and redrilled to fit. The points themselves needed a bit of trimming to fit, but nothing too difficult.

At the same time I replaced the distibutor with a better one with no slop in the shaft, and this has made a big improvement to the running, much smoother at high RPM. I'm not sure how much of this is down to the points but they are beefier than the original ones with a stronger spring and bigger contact area, so i think they probably help.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi Tom

Thanks for the info and modification. I have a couple of sets of spare original points but they are not in that great condition.  I may well have a go at replacing them as you suggest.

Cheers

Howard
Useful info all ---thanks

Will report results when completed

Ian