The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine oil
I only use 20/50 multi grade in my Ruby both engine and gearbox. I have no oil filter and am aware of the fact that carbon etc is held in suspension so I change the oil about every 1000 miles for me that’s on average every year. I do not do competition driving just relaxed motoring.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I think you you've hit it it on the head
As they say, change the oil at regular
Intervals and you should be OK
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
The late VW Beetle with no filter, usually little consumption, changed at 3,000, but did have a magnet and air cleaner, and more used than typical Seven. With typical Seven use condensation and acids more likely significant than dirt.
The oil has to be well agitated  to suspend any larger material. Car can be rocked. The impecunious can pour oil through a filter and reuse!
Hi, not too off topic I hope. Is anyone against using D140 for the back axle/diff in a 1933/4 seven? There always seems conflicting opinion but it's time for me to make a decision! Something must be better than nothing!   Cheers!
I thought D140 was OEM
https://www.classic-oils.net/Castrol-D140
For what little it is worth, I have been using a good quality 10W/40 semi-synthetic oil in the engine and gearbox and a 'straight' SAE140 gear oil in the back axle.  I have set a servicing schedule where I change the engine oil every 2,500 miles and the gearbox and axle oils every 5000 miles. 7000 miles covered in 15 months with no problems so far (Fingers crossed!)

I use a good quality 20W/50 in the Series 3 Landrover and the Mk2 Polo, but it is a bit 'treacly' when cold; fine for full pressure systems, but I worry about trying to force it through those little 1/16 inch jets that feed the bottom end of a cooking Seven engine on initial start and warm up.
RPW: D140 is I think the correct oil & in any case is what I use.

David thanks for that, I wonder how many others out there are using 10W40?
I use 10w40 in everything from the 12 litre turbo diesel in my boat (12,000 + hours run) to the Austin 7. All still running fine and its much easier to just buy one grade in bulk. Discuss?
What do you put in the diff of your A7 Bruce?