The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The chance of new crankshafts and rod etc
[attachment=7773]

Thank you all so far for your input to this.

I have decisions to make.

The first is cost, the seven world may not be ready for quality Virsus price.

As I say, the company I'm working will. Already pointed out. As long as a new crank doesn't break. The customers may be happy as they are with am OK PRODUCT.

I had hoped supplying with a rod that sorts out the shortfall in shells. Would be a good idea. But most of my feedback on and of the web doesn't seem to worry about fit. 

Above is a BILLET CRANK, I bought this from an older customer who told me it was from one of the Phoenix batches. This was before they done a forging to reduce there costs.

Visually it is 100x better than there forging. 

It also has has full size oil pickups machined into it. Pic below.

Tony.

[attachment=7774]

Sorry it's not for sale, I had the rods metalled and kept it as a spare.

Tony.
That is an excellent looking piece - with proper splash feed pockets- pity they didn't keep these in the later forged cranks.

Regarding my turning and fitting teacher- I am sure I was told to keep loose clothing away from the lathe moving parts - but as a teenager- in one ear and out the other !! At least I remembered and was very careful after .
Point of interest. Speaking to John Barlow some time ago, he told me he bought his crank forgings off the same tooling as Phoenix, then had them machined himself. Does this help in any way?
Regarding my turning and fitting teacher- I am sure I was told to keep loose clothing away from the lathe moving parts - but as a teenager- in one ear and out the other !! At least I remembered and was very careful after
It's so easy to become blasé when using any sort of machine tool – but they don't take prisoners and even low-powered ones can do significant damage or worse. A female student was killed in the USA in September 2011 when her hair was wound into the chuck of a 6-inch lathe and a fellow student of my wife nearly suffered the same fate,but escaped with a chuck of scalp missing. It is, perhaps, a good idea to step back from time to time, have a think about what you are doing and remind yourself about machine tool safety Go on, frighten yourself, give it a read....
(17-09-2019, 11:25 PM)Tony Press Wrote: Regarding my turning and fitting teacher- I am sure I was told to keep loose clothing away from the lathe moving parts - but as a teenager- in one ear and out the other !! At least I remembered and was very careful after .

As a teenager some lessons do seem to be needed to be learnt the hard way. When I was a teenager I had then fashionable shoulder length hair. The workshop chargehand told me that I should wear a hairnet to avoid my hair being caught in a rotating drill etc. -needless to say I ignored this advice. Some weeks later I was adjusting the mechanism in a running teletype printer when my hair got caught in a pair of skew gears. Fortunately I was able to grab hold of the motor's governor drum and stall the machine and then turn off the power before I went all the way in. Following this frightening experience I was the only person working there sporting a ponytail hairdo. This photo was snapped at the Goodwood record attempt with the long hair but thankfully for everyone else, no ponytail.

[Image: 29604487866_7abe159547_z.jpg]
love the platforms Cool
That looks like a Black's Artic Guinea tent next to you, best tent I ever owned. It went with me everywhere from arctic Norway to the High Atlas mountains and the Sahara desert, loved it .
I had the very similar "Good Companion" when I was at school.
Crankshafts to machine tool safety, hair, platform boots and a tent review...it could only happen on the Friends forum...
Is that Suttons "Brown Top"?