The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Double front shock absorber
When I built my 1938 Ruby special I used the piece in the 750 special builders guide to make a front twin shock absorber. I used the springs from spare rear shocks and the back plates. The threads on these are bicycle threads the same as bike hub spinners. I used these to be able to adjust the pressure on the shocks. Having only standard friction discs I used washers to keep the discs in place. The standard shockers bracket was used and discs and spacer were cut from 1/4" plate. and welded together. The outer ends are onto 3/8 studs in the ends of the radius arm. I hope the photo comes with this if not I will send it on its own.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I have followed the "advice" in the 750 companion.

Rather than drill and bush the S/A arms I cut an old ally S/A link in half, fitted a new bush and secured the S/A to the original link securing stud.
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
It's not obvious from the photo but there are 2 blades each side with a friction disk each side of the bracket. the blades are then each side of the Ali link with a rubber insert.
Photo with a better view.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

whats the purpose of the wing nut Peter ? sorry re-read your first post...
The Wing nuts are Bicycle hub spinners and are for tightening the springs that put pressure on the friction discs
I have one s/a arm fixed directly to an axle stud using one half of a vertical link (discretely tucked up in-between the blades) so it acts as a Panhard Rod.  This I believe is all you have to do to locate the front axle and eliminate wander.  It has worked fine on my car for over 30years.

I suspect that, theoretically, this is a mod that really shouldn't work... because by effectively removing a vertical link you are asking the s/a arm to follow a trajectory (relative to the axle beam) for which it was not designed; thereby placing a strain on it.  

I suspect the reason the single central pivoting s/a still works in practice is that a combination of narrow track, narrow 19" wheels and a compliant single spring and shackles allows for just enough "give".  

That's my theory anyway.  I make no claims as to it's veracity. Smile
That is precisely what I have done, Ray and it appears to work - at least on the six-mile test drive which is all I have done so far.

I would be interested to know how long ago you did yours and how many miles you have covered without anything breaking!!
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
(10-10-2019, 12:32 AM)Rick F Wrote: That is precisely what I have done, Ray and it appears to work - at least on the six-mile test drive which is all I have done so far.

I would be interested to know how long ago you did yours and how many miles you have covered without anything breaking!!

Rick,  as I said it is over 30 years since I did that mod.  I have not kept a record of the mileage but it is probably quite a bit.  I have checked on the set up a few times over the years and I am happy that the fix is quite sound and there have been no breakages or noticeable wear.  In any event, having a car that steers in a straight line (more or less!) is better than the alternative.  These days I only take "trundles" out for a gentle ramble around the local lanes but the state of our roads is so abysmal that almost anything that we do seems futile!

Just enjoy it.  
Hi all
Is there any consesus as to the best side to lock  when this mod adopted?
It is a bit surprising that the thin metal of the s.a blade ends and the "centre bearing" survive long term use.
For the rubber block solution no one has ever published a diagram of an ideally shaped piece to reduce experiment. Old gumboots and some shoes can provide a large piece of rubber or similar.
I cannot quite envisage how the "half link" is arranged. Just locking the eye over the axle stud would seem to suffice.